Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 02-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Adjustable Sights

Tru Glow makes a fiber optic adjustable site for the Bobcat. You can get them on line or some stores like Gander Mountain, Cabela's, or Bass Pro carry them in the stores.

Check the CVA site and look, I think they sell fiber optic sights for the rifle also. I am not sure but I think they have Fire Sights made by Williams...
Old 02-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

If the hammer is hitting square on the cap I would not guess it the hammer spring. I would be more inclined to think the caps are no good, or the nipple. The first thing I do when I get a new sidelock it take the factory nipple off the rifle and put a hot shot nipple on them. Many times the factory nipples are too short. Although being too tall can be just as bad.

You did not mention what kind of caps you were shooting or how old they were. I used to use a German Brand Cap but that seems like ages ago. I am no longer able to find them so I went to CCI Magnum #11's. they are a good hot cap. Also be careful about getting any oil on or in the caps with your fingers. I see a lot of people with bore butter or lube on their fingers then grab the cap and set it. This can cause some troubles.

You did not mention how well the rifle shot. What kind of load were you shooting and how well did it shoot? Mine is a real nail driver with round ball. Actually for $39.95 which is what I paid for the rifle, this thing will shoot roundballs so well, it would compete with my Renegade or Hawkins any day of the week.

Cleaning them is a lot easier then cleaning my in lines. I would clean a side lock any day of the week before I had to clean a sidelock. Although in all fairness, I have not shot or cleaned a Optima or Omega type rifle. I think those might be real nice reference cleaning....

I shot my Renegade yesterday shooting 415 grain paper patched Minnie Balls that I hand casted, and talk about recoil and big holes. These rifles are really enjoyable to shoot and hunt with. After I started shooting them, the center fires kind of lost their charm to me.....

Old 02-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

If you suspect the hammer is not striking square over the nipple, take a soda pop can and cut a chunk out of it with some tin snips. (Careful with that metal I always cut myself) put that over the nipple and fire the hammer down. This should show you how hard the hammer is hitting and where it is hitting in relation to the nipple imprint that will be on the can too...

The hammer not being center on the Bobcat is not all that uncommon. I have read a number of posts which the same thing happened. My understanding is, they cold bent the hammer in a vice. I am not going to recommend you do that because it is your rifle. You might want to call CVA if it shows they are not hitting square and see what they suggest. Others I have talked to on these boards just went ahead, removed the hammer and bent it just a little a time until it was hitting square.

I am sure a gunsmith reading these posts can give you better information on how to fix the hammer should it be off center. Also make sure when you seat your caps, they are seated all the way down on the nipple. If not, sometimes the first smack of the hammer will seat the cap to the proper position and then the second smack will fire the cap....

Good luck with the rifle..
Old 02-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]