Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Acetone after Cleaning?

I run a patch of denatured alcohol down the barrel then a couple dry patches after cleaning just to make sure there is no moisture in the barrel. After the patches are dry, I run some Birchwood Casey Sheath on a patch down the barrel to protect it from rust....
Old 02-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never tried it. Not sure if it will hurt the bluing if your gun is blued. Make sure you keep it from the finish on your gunstock.I was using acetone recently. I spilled a little on my painted garage floor dripping from the rag.. Instantly it softened the paint.I accidently stepped in it and my foot slide on the paint where the acetone was.The paint was removed by my shoe's sole. I know it will eat the finish off your gunstock. It will probably ruin a synthetic stock ? I don't know.If you dry your barrel out well and apply a light coating of oil you shouldn't have a problem without using acetone.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-03-2004, 07:54 PM

I have used Acetone to clean my ML rifles it is a good cleaner. Alcohol will disperse water and it evaporates quickley and also it is inexpensive.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:27 PM

I would be wary of using acetone for several reasons.
First, it could soften any finish on wood (or anything else it gets spilled on). Secondly, acetone that is commercially available is typically loaded with impurities (lab grade or pharmacutical grade is purer). When the acetone evaporates, these will be left behind and you have no control over what effect these may have on your gun. Thirdly, in addition to removing water it will likely remove most traces of oils (that you want).
Alcohol will remove these as well, but I don't think will have some of the other effects that acetone might.
Just one view.
Hank
Old 02-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

you can use brake cleaner from the auto parts store....after i clean with hot water i spray it in the touch hole untill it drips out of the muzzle....then i oil the barrel and i'm done...........................bob
Old 02-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use brake cleaner or carb cleaner (spray). Its cheap, works good as final cleaner, particularly areas around breech, plug and any threaded area. Run couple dry patches down barrel, light lube your bolt and breech and your ready to go blow off more smoke.

My .02 - I would never - and - why use acetone on any gun. There are so many good solvents out there for specific use on smoke poles. Besides the stuff WILL soften plastic,varnish etc...
Old 02-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

When I worked we used a lot of acetone every day to clean dies and parts.No way would I use it in one of my rifles that I paid good money for when reg alchol works just as good.The way it works on paint,it has to not be good for blueing on a rifle.Got some acetone splashed in my eye one time and had to go to the hospital,that didn't feel too good at all.