Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Precision Rifles's Dead Center & Duplex Sabot's

Old 02-02-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Precision Rifles's Dead Center & Duplex Sabot's

I became aware of Cecil Epp's Precision Rifle long range muzzleloader sabot's from this forum and another blackpowder forum. I was interested enough in them to e-mail Cecil and get his thoughts on a good combination of powder, ignition and bullet for a long range whitetail load in a T/C Black Diamond XR. He was kind enough to e-mail me back in less than 24 hours. The bullets I was interested in turned out to be the one's he recommended for my gun:
a) Dead Center in 200, 220, & 240 grains
b) Dead Center Duplex Sabot .357 for .50 caliber rifles in 195 grains
Has anyone tried any of these bullets in a similar muzzleloader and what were your results as far as accuracy and terminal performance on deer size game? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Precision Rifles's Dead Center & Duplex Sabot's

I haven't shot the Dead Centers, but I've been shooting the QT .40's for a while and I've found them to be exceptionally good bullets. Pretty much any bullet Precision Rifle makes is going to be top notch quality.

I have no experience with the "duplex sabot" concept. I think that it might be going a bit overboard on the whole long-range high-velocity muzzleloading craze, but I also think everyone ought to be able to use what they want, as long as it's suitable for the task.

The Dead Center bullets have a smooth ogive and are designed for more controlled expansion and greater penetration, so that they'll shoot through the animal (2 holes=bigger blood trail). The QT's have a semi-wadcutter like step and flat bearing surface, so they aren't quite as aerodynamic as the dead centers. The QT's are also designed for rapid expansion and energy transfer and don't always pass through a deer. They do make a deer's innards look like they were run through a blender though, massive chest trauma is an understatement.

Mike