Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

making bullets

Old 01-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: making bullets

So far I have had good luck with them all the way out to 75 yards. They seem to group real well still. I shoot open sights in the .54 caliber and off sticks, but the group was just over 3 inches in size which I did not feel was all that bad.

One deer I took three years ago at about 65 yards I shot with the 300 grain REAL and took him behind the front shoulder, actually what I thought was kind of high, and it still knocked him off his feet and he never got back up.

We still have a lot of playing to do with the loads. I would like to get into bullets that are suited to the in lines. That's why the ones you made interested me so much...
Old 01-31-2004, 07:57 AM

thanks for the pic's and input, i am going to start looking for place to buy moulds, any internet links you guys have would also be helpful thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Track of the Wolf is the cheapest place I have found to get LEE R.E.A.L. molds and the hunting minnie molds. A real nice place to do business with. I ordered three more last week and two days later the UPS man was at the door....

Lead I purchase pure from MidSouth Shooters Supply. And I get the rapine mold lube there too...
Old 02-05-2004, 04:44 AM
Spike

I molded the R.E.A.L bullets when I first got my KNIGHT shot very good I think they were 250 gr? 50 cal. killed 2 deer with them. Then I tried other brands found the Remington 303gr.to be be good also and used them till this year.Remington has stopped making them and I can't find any around,so this year I went back to the basic bullet and used the REAL again didnt get a shot this year but they still still group good. The heck with the expensive sabot bullets.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very Impressive Guys.

I've really wanted to start moulding my own for years. Just never found all the materials and info to get me fired up and started. I still shoot conicals out of my T/C .50 in Line and CVA side lock. I've been tempted to try a conical and Black Powder in my Knight .45 just to see what it would do at 100-150 + yrds ???