Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

faster ignition?

Old 01-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default faster ignition?

i shoot a tc 50 cal flintlock hawken...now i shot with 90grs of 2fg goex and prime with 4fg.....but 3fg burns faster correct? wouldnt using 3fg in the barrel as the main charge speed up ignition since it burns faster then 2fg? im new to BP and was just thinking....it makes sense to me.....but is it the truth?? anyone use 2fg then swith to 3fg and notice a nice diffrence? my gun goes off pretty quick...but there is that time when the powder is burning that could be faster....would 3fg be faster?? just me....thinking as always.....thanx
Old 01-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: faster ignition?

There are lots of people that shoot FFFg as their main charge in .50 caliber sidelocks. Some claim the powder does burn faster and it does produce more pressure in the barrel, so you have some load adjustment in most cases. I have shot Pyrodex P a number of times in my .50 caliber Hawkins, and it shot excellent. If you get a chance to get your hands on some I say give it a shot and see what you think. With all the sales on powder going on right now, this is the time to get a pound or two...
Old 01-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Mauser,
I lived in Pa. and hunted with flintlocks for many years--still hunt there in flintlock season every year.
When I began, the most common load for 50 cal round ball seemed to be 90 gr. ffg, so that's where I started. In my old TC Hawken, I got reliable ignition--after I replaced the crappy TC frizzen with a Lyman--got pretty fair accuracy and killed deer quickly.
I have two flintlocks, and both have very fast ignition. The key, I have discovered is to use a good frizzen, a good sharp flint, and not overloading the pan with powder.
Then I met some guys who shot flintlocks year round at matches, and they suggested that I try fffg. Since the grain size is smaller, and it burns faster, they recommended that I begin with about 75 grains. I have tried loads of from 75 to 90 grains, and for my rifles, have settled on 75 grains of fffg.
The velocity and accuracy are about the same as 90 gr ffg and the deer don't know the difference, but I seem to get less fouling and have the added benefit of getting more loads per pound of powder.
Oh, by the way, I still use patched round balls for Pa. flintlock season.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:21 AM

TC item # 7327 - package of two 1/4 X 28, $4-ish

So far, I've just bought them from TC Customer Service phone # = 603-332-2333...but any supplier that carries TC items should have them.

They are really outstanding...particles of Goex FFFg just sit there perched in the large hole and the rifle goes off like a .30-30 !

MAUSER THIS WILL IMPROVE YOUR FLINTER ALSO UPGRADE VENT LINER
Old 01-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

So what are these gizmos you recommend? I haven't found a picture and can't tell from your parts number.

Fritz
Old 01-12-2004, 12:15 PM

http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe....tcarms.com%2F
Old 01-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

TOUCH HOLE BUSHING for a FLINTLOCK I think that is what lonewolf is talking about.....
Old 01-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

I assume he's referring to the one you need an Allen wrench to remove?
Old 01-12-2004, 01:19 PM

TOUCH HOLE BUSHING for a FLINTLOCK
The new bushing has a larger cone ,it will also have an allen head instead of the old slotted screw driver head.
I can only see one disavantage to the larger hole is moisture getting into the powder charge.
I myself have change my frizzen on my t/c lock to a lyman frizzen and using english flint ,I can't remember the last time I has a misfire
Old 01-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

believe it or not i shot most of a pound of 2fg since i got my gun....have maybe 1/4 left.....it the bait shop opens up in the spring i will buy 3fg...and im sending the lock to TC very soon to have them work on the lock....it doesnt spark great....then maybe ill put on a lyman frizzen...and im upgrading the touchhole liner even without you guys recomending it..they are TOUGH to remove with a screw driver after shooting it....and the slot isnt deep at all or it wouldnt be hard...forget the percussion barrel and lock i was going to add to my arsnol.....by next season i will have this gun going off faster then my mauser.....thanx alot......now im headed to my grandmas heated garage to work on my stock....im redoing the whole thing.....then addind fiber optic sights because i have bad eyes...cant wait to get it done....im going to shoot the heck out of it till i get it shooting GREAT......next year ill be more then ready.....thanx alot guys!

Quick Reply: faster ignition?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.