Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ENCORE BARREL REMOVAL ?PLEASE HELP

Old 01-04-2004, 01:51 PM

Default ENCORE BARREL REMOVAL ?PLEASE HELP

I have an encore 45x209.My problem is getting the hinge pin back through the barrel and receiver.Does anyone else have this problem or do I need to send it back to TCarms?

Chris
Old 01-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ENCORE BARREL REMOVAL ?PLEASE HELP

Do you mean it is too tight or are you not getting the holes lined up?I have an oversized pin in mine and I have to knock it in and out with a rubber mallet.But don't have any trouble getting it in and out.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

Herman,
I have been thinking of going with an oversize pin in my Encore. Did the oversize pin improve accuracy in yours? Did you have to buy a reamer and open the holes?
Old 01-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Mine has the wood stock and this is what I did with mine, put in a oversized pin ,just knocked it in,a lighter spring (2lbs) from Bellmtcs.com,took all the wood from the forearm that was touching the actin,put a steel washer between the 2 screws holding the forearm on to free float it the best I could.Gave the barrel a good lapping (cleaning) with 500 strokes of JB's bore paste.Will include a pic of some groups and you can see if you think it helped.I think all of the mentioned helped .
Old 01-05-2004, 06:10 AM

I don't have the problem getting the pin out it's getting it back in.I do have a problem lining the holes up.I thoought it was unusal to have to knock the pin back in with a hammer.I don't have a scope on it and am thinking that knocking it in would throw one off, I am planning on getting a rifle barrel with a scope.Any suggestion on how do get it lined up.Thanks for your replies

Chris
Old 01-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

I just lay mine on the floor ,looks like the barrel and stock,action are about a 75degree when the holes are lined up,start the pin in and knock on in with a mallet I put a piece of wood between so I wont scratch up the action.My is pretty hard to get in because it is over sized. If yours is that tight you shouldn't need an over sized pin. after cleaning I put the rifle back together first before I put the scope back on.I use weaver basses and rings.
Did have a scope to break last year but I think it was from shooting 150 grs of T-7 in it.Kicked like a mule too.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:58 PM

Looking good Herman
Old 01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sirchance, I do the pin insertion a little different than Herman. I lay the two main pieces of the rifle in my lap, joined and ready for the pin. Start the pin in and if I feel resistance I wiggle the barrel slightly up and down (normal directions of barrel movement, not side to side). That little bit of wiggling helps me get the pin almost all the way in, sometimes one final rap with a mallet to finish and even it up. A factory pin shouldn't be terribly difficult unless you have burred it somewhere or burred one of the other three holes it goes through. Make sure all those surfaces are very clean, smooth, and lightly lubed.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:12 PM

my pin goes right in and out with fair resistance but not enough that i need to pound on it.

i just wiggle the barrel and receiver side to side and open/close and it takes a couple minutes but the pin works itself in.

i'd be afraid to pound on it for fear it would make the receiver hole bigger requiring a larger pin.