Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help me pick a muzzleloader PLEASE !!

Old 01-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me pick a muzzleloader PLEASE !!

I am going to apply for a 2004 elk tag in CO. I have 3 PP, so I should draw.

Question is, what muzzleloader ? I've owned a few in the past but my last (A TC Thunderhawk) was stolen 4 years ago and I haven't kept up with the change sin the industry since.

I like traditional - flint locks attract me though I've never shot one. But where to find one of quality and at a reasonable price ?

Caplocks ... well, if I go tech I'll go inline for certain.

Which inline if I go that route ? Ya'll have a favorite model or are they all created equal ?

I'll be buying a .50 cal - I'm confident in them. Other than that, and a small affinity for Thompson Centers, I have little guidance.

HELP ?!!
Old 01-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Help me pick a muzzleloader PLEASE !!

If you like in lines, and Thompson Center and want to hunt elk, I would go with the Black Diamond XR. I have one. It has a 26" barrel and can shoot 209, #11, or musket caps. The rifle is a bit heavy but can take the magnum charges. The one I have I am working up a load for right now. I think I will shoot the T/C Shockwaves. They seem to group real well.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

don't overlook knights. well worth the price. quality can't be beat.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:15 PM

You are not going to find a cheap, quality flinter. All the cheap flintlocks sold in the last twenty years are one reason many folks think they are unreliable. The least expensive flint rifle I could recommend is the Lyman Great Plains rifle, at about $275-$325 at online dealers like Midsouth.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:40 AM

stealthycat buy another thunderhawk,I own one in 54 cal. man seems that the inline I always grap in the gun safe. My next choice would be the Omega, Black diamond xr ,Winchester Apex
Old 01-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i love my thompson center pennsylvania hunter. if your more familiar with a flintlock i say go for it. if you want to go high tech then put a scope on it. i think that would be something
Old 01-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

This ones easy. Thompson Center Encore. 50 Caliber. Next question?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard people say that .50 cal. is not good enough for elk. Knight makes a .52 cal. that is supposed to be very potent.

I think .50 cal. should be enough though if you are patient enough to wait for the right shot, and if you are a good marksman. I have the T/C Omega, and it is outstanding. It is a magnum gun with a 28" barrel, plus the quality of being a T/C. If you have the bread, go with the T/C Encore. Then, you can collect barrels. Hunt elk with a 7mm, or .300 WM one season, then swap barrels and continue to hunt during muzzleloading season!
Old 01-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed an elk in 1997 I think it was with my 50 cal Thunderhawk at about 80 yards - no problems, shot through both lungs and dropped him in about 75 yards.

More suggestions ?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:05 PM

T/C Black Diamond XR or T/C Omega

Quick Reply: Help me pick a muzzleloader PLEASE !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.