Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help me pick a muzzleloader PLEASE !!

Old 01-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me pick a muzzleloader PLEASE !!

Need to realize the restrictions in Colorado on elk hunting for your recommendations. .50 cal minimum, conicals can be no more than 2X caliber in length, NO SABOTS allowed, NO Pellets allowed, no scopes ....well, here:

a. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
b. Must be single-barrel and fired from the shoulder.
c. Must fire a single round-ball or conical projectile the length of which does not exceed twice the diameter.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn antelope or bear, they must be .40 caliber or larger.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be .50 caliber or larger.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh at least 170 grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh at least 210 grains.
h. Shotshell primers are legal.
i. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Scopes prohibited. Fiber optic sight paints are legal. Artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are illegal.
l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder, Pyrodex (granulated, not pellets), Clear Shot, Clean Shot and Triple 7 are legal.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

T/C Omega,blued w/ black stock
Old 01-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend a White Model 98 Elite Hunter in .50 caliber. Hard to beat! Website pricing might scare you away, but there are deals to be found.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Spike

Hey,

HAPPY NEW YEAR. I second Underclocked as far as the White. I have a White S91 in .50 cal and it is a beaut. Looks good and shoots better. Shoots 460 gr. conicals which should be good for your Elk hunt.
If you want to take alook and a lower price MZ but still good quality, go to www.hr1871.com and look at the Huntsman MZ in .50 cal. These can be bought for under $130 and don't let the price fool you, they are well made in the good old USA. The Huntsman will also take the 460 conicals, mine came from No Excuses. Good Luck with your search.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I have decided on a Huntsman. For the price they can't be beat.

I have an FFL buddy who has one that has a 12 gauage barrel with it for $175 ........... is this a pretty good price ?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds very good. Make sure the gun has a good trigger and, if so, you've made a good choice..
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 AM

I have a Thompson Center Renegade .50 cal. (Basically it is a T.C. Hawken without all the brass)

Not glitz or glamour flinter here, just a bare bones stock gun, shoots great, easy to take care of, and gets the job done :-)
Old 01-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

If traditional is your bag, as is mine, you can't go wrong with the T/C hawken or Pa Hunter or the Lyman Plains rifle. The latter two though you are goint to have to shood patch and ball to get any accuracy. The Hawken with its 1:48 twist will let you get away with conicals. (Or you can buy a Green Mtn replacement barrel for about $150 for any of them with a 1:28 twist and have a rifle that will shoot conicaly very well.
If you are into or want an inline - I'd go with the CVA Optima Pro. Mine shoots great and costs from just over $200 to about $275 depending on finish/stock combo. And this puppy shoots every bit as good as my friends $500 + Encore.