Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

whats the difference in muzzleloader & flintlock??

Old 12-14-2003, 10:25 AM

Default whats the difference in muzzleloader & flintlock??

i've been thinking about buying a muzzleloader but looking in the PA regulations book, muzzleloader come in before rifle season and flintlock comes in after christmas..... i would rather have the option to hunt after the regular gun season (especially this year since i didn't bag a deer this year)

what is the difference and is a flintlock something that you can buy a gun and practice shooting for a couple of hours and head to the woods???
Old 12-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats the difference in muzzleloader & flintlock??

Well, all flintlocks are muzzleloaders, but not all muzzleloaders are flintlocks.

"Flintlock" refers to the mechanical method used to ignite the main powder charge. The three basic types of lock mechanisms in use today. They are the flintlock, sidelock percussion, and inline percussion.

Your early muzzleloader season is named as such because more than one type of lock system is legal. The late flintlock only season (also called primitive season in some places, but I think that's a bit of a misnomer) limits the type of muzzleloader to flintlock only.

Flintlocks are the earliest lock mechanism still in fairly common use today. Therre are earlier lock types (matchlock and wheellock) that are rarily is ever used today because they are cumbersome and awkward. The flintlock uses a flint attached to hammer or striker which scrapes across the frizzen sending sparks into the priming charge of 4F black powder. The priming charge burns sending a flame through the touchhole in the side of the barrel which ignites tha main charge.

As far as becoming proficient with a flintlock in a short amount of time...I couldn't tell you how long it'll take you. If you already have experience with muzzleloaders in general, and perticularly sidelock percussion guns, then you just need to learn how to properly prime the lock on a flintlock and work on being able to hold steady on target after the hammer falls because flintlocks tend not to be as quick to fire as percussion guns.

Mike
Old 12-14-2003, 12:44 PM

In all honesty, if you want to hunt with a flintlock, start practicing now for next year. IMO flintlocks require a lot of disipline to shoot well. First, the shooter must learn not to flinch when a fire flares up a few inches from his face. Next it can take a lot of time at the range to find the perfect load for a muzzleloader. A small change in powder charge or a difference in patch thickness can make groups vary from holes that touch to can't hardly hit the paper. I would suggest you start with a caplock first and then graduate up to a flintlock. I shoot caplock. Havn't spent the money for a good flintlock yet. That brings the next thing. If your flintlock doesn't spark well, you don't have anything. You can't cut corners with a flintlock. A good top quality lock is a must.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:35 PM

In all honesty, a person can learn to shoot a flintlock between now and Dec. 26. I would find someone that can teach you what you need to know, take you to the range and show you the ropes. It will save a lot of time and effort. A top quality lock & frizzen are the ticket for consistent firing. Cheaper locks will only make you frustrated and now use the flintlock.

As far as accuracy, I got a new T/C Hawken on year and it was sighted in for the load I put into it out of the box. I can happen.