Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond ?

Old 12-09-2003, 03:55 PM
HP

Default Black Diamond ?

I have owned a Black Diamond XR .50 for two years. My accuracy has been acceptable, but not spectacular by any means. I am getting 2.5" groups at 100 yards with 100 grains of 777 behind a 250 shockwave. I know others are doing better. Saturday, while hunting, I noticed that the barrel was touching the forearm ever so slightly. Seems like I remember reading that the Black Diamond has a floating barrel. If that is really the case, would this contact cause accuracy to suffer? If so, could I take a piece of sandpaper and take just enough off of the inside of the stock to lessen the contact between stock and barrel?
Thanks for your help!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:27 PM

Default RE: Black Diamond ?

HP 2.5" AT THE 100 YARD TARGET SEEMS PRETTY GOOD TO ME ,AS FAR AS A FREE FLOATED BARREL TAKE A NEW ONE DOLLAR BILL AND SLIP IT IN BETWEEN THE BARREL AND THE STOCK AND SEE IF IT SLIP DOWN EASY, IF NOT YOU CAN SAND AND REMOVE THE HIGH SPOTS IN THE STOCK.
ANOTHER IDEA IS TO CUT BACK ON THE TRIPLE 777 AND SEE IF YOUR GROUPS COME TOGETHER.
I HAVE A T/C THUNDERHAWK 54CAL.AND FOR SOME REASON ANYTHING PAST 75 GRAINS OF TRIPLE 777 MY GROUPS START TO OPEN.I FOUND THE ONLY WAY I CAN INCREASE MY POWDER CHARGE IS TO SWITCH TO PYRODEX SELECT ,USING A CHARGE OF 110 TO 120 GRAINS ON A GOOD DAY I CAN PUT THREE SHOTS INSIDE AN INCH AT THE 100.I ALSO FOUND THAT THE GUN WILL NOT SHOOT CONICAL LOVES PERCISION SABOT .THE SABOT I PREFER IS THE SILVER LIGHTING 300 GRAIN,SECOND CHOICE ARE THE QT'S 45 CAL. POLY TIP IN 350 GRAINS.
I DO THINK THE BLACK DIAMOND BARREL TWIST IS 1 IN 28 COMPARED TO THE 1IN 38 TWIST IN THE THUNDERHAWK.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 AM
HP

Thanks for the help. I will try a reduced load to see if the group will close up any. I tried the dollar bill and it did bind up a bit. I will try and take a little out of the inside of the forearm. I know 2.5 is pretty good, but I am particular about my shots and I just want to know I am getting the best out of my gun that I am able to get!
Old 12-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I just got a .50 caliber Black Diamond XR and if it shoots 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards, I will be very pleased. Granted it might be able to do better. That could be a matter of tweeking the load a grain or two, or being more careful when loading. I don't know but we will see. Thanks for the heads up on the T/C .44 cal 250 grain shockwaves. I just bought three packs of them, three packs of T/C .44 cal 240 grain Cheap Shots, and three packs of .45 cal 300 grain Hornady XTP's.

I have a 3X9 Tasco Worldclass scope that used to be on my Ruger 7mm mag. I am sure it can handle the stress of a muzzle loader. I need to figure out what mounts to get. Weaver seems like a good brand. I do not want the see through type because I find I never use the feature even when I have it. Any thoughts on the sabots or the mounts?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 PM

Hey cayugd ... I shoot xtp hornadys and they worked great for me I shot a doe at 75 or so yrds and she went down like she was hit by lighting as far as the mounts weaver is good but stay away from see thru mounts they sit way to high from the bullet center and you lift your face in the wrong position for long accurate shooting.......in my humble opinon!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear you on the low riding mounts. I never saw the need for see through rings. I figured the reason I put the scope on the rifle was because I wanted it with a scope. On low power a scope is fine for close shots. I don't shoot at running things anyway, and with a muzzleloader I am going to make the first shot count.

I did get some Hornady 300 grain XTP's. Glad they work good on deer. Thanks for the heads up.....
Old 12-17-2003, 07:24 PM

cayugad I was thinking about you, how close is the black diamond to the house( did you get it yet)
Old 12-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

It came in this afternoon while I was gone. We cleaned it, hauled it out in the back yard, guessed at a load and shot off five rounds before it got dark. I also wanted to see how bad it was going to be cleaning it.

I shot 80 grains of Pyrodex Select and the T/C 240 grain XTP's that came with the rifle. They actually (for shooting at 30 yards sitting in a lawn chair in the snow, using shooting sticks as a brace) shot pretty good. The fiber optic sights are nice. I held about an 1 and a half group, then loaded the last one to 100 grains to see if it would fly away. Instead I was surprised, it held right in there.

I will get the bench rest out tomorrow if it does not snow, and see what it can really do. I also want to get Weaver bases and rings and get the scope mounted on it. Tomorrow we will bring out the .45 caliber 300 grain XTP Hornady's. I want to see how they shoot.

Cleaning it was not bad. I checked the barrel and it free floats all the way back. The ignition time is real good shooting Winchester 209 primers. It was all they had at the store.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

When you mount the scope base in this rifle, if I am reading it right, you take the rear sight off? I have to look better at it when I get the right base. I bought the wrong one this afternoon at the Wal Mart.

lonewolf5347 my friend Dave that had the hammer problem with his GPR said he took it to a gunsmith and he was sure they heated it and turned it a little. I told him about your rifle and he said you stole it.... He also said you have a great conical rifle there

Quick Reply: Black Diamond ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.