Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzleloaders

Old 11-27-2003, 05:54 PM

Default muzzleloaders

hey i looking into buying a muzzleloader and was wondering what everyone thought would be a good choice. and has anyone used the T/C omega. is it as good as its advertised. thanks
Old 11-27-2003, 06:51 PM

Default RE: muzzleloaders

i think that you should go with an ML 700...very good gun
Old 11-27-2003, 08:00 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

I have the knight disc and the omega and the omega rules and I should sell the knight as I will never use it again
Old 11-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes.. the Omega is everything that' s advertised. The only negative posts I' ve found recently concern hollow areas in the synthetic stock that echo a noisy tree branch slapping it & the need to buy a sub 12" length scope due to it' s short stock/rearward drilled & tapped mount holes.

The ML/S700 has a couple of serious issues. Bolt removal may draw blood from the owner. Also, Remington Inc. should offer vises on the bp accessories webpage... that' s what' s needed to remove the bolt.

Also, low mounted scopes on the Remingtons have been literally fire-scortched/melted due to blowback upon ignition. A better bolt/plunger-action buy in the $300 price range would be a nicely dressed Knight Wolverine II 26" .
Old 11-28-2003, 08:28 AM

Just purchased a T/C Encore after doing some extensive research. The thing that sold me on it was the ability to morph the rifle to a hand gun and the variety of barrel options available. One can choose black powder and centerfire or rim fire catridges. If you hunt different animals the adaptability of the Encore is unmatched.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:40 PM

I have the knight disc and the omega and the omega rules and I should sell the knight as I will never use it again
bhw
Rack Buck

What about the Omega do you like more than the Knight Disc Extreme?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I really think Thompson Center makes a fine rifle. I have hunted with and shot one for over 20 years. Of all the black powder rifles I own, the T/C Renegade is still one of the best rifles to shoot and will handle anything from a roundball to a 430 grain conical. Good Luck on what ever rifle you choose....
Old 11-29-2003, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can' t speak for the Omega, but I can say a lot about T/C. My dad has owned one for years. I' ve owned one for years. The gun I have is extremely accurate. I can hit bullseyes all day at 100 yards standing (no bench) with open sights. Get the boy in wet weather, and you' re done though. Of course, the Omega should take care of that, but I am closer to the traditionalist point of view - open sights, non sealed primer, etc... T/C, one fine gun. Made here too!