Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless muzzleloader (SML)

Old 03-09-2024, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Smokeless muzzleloader (SML)

On another site I was reading a lot about SMLs and I thought I'd give it a shot! One of the cheapest ways to go was to have a .45-70 CVA Scout converted by reaming out the chamber area and threading it for a smokeless capable breech plug..I had mine done by Hankins Precision Rifles for $400. But before I jump ahead I had purchased the Scout in .45-70 and thought I'd check the accuracy before I sent it out. Being that I had a few other .45-70s I had plenty of ammo. No matter what I shot downrange they all shot MOA or better. I thought to myself, no way am I getting this rifle converted because it shoots too good. So I went and purchased another identical Scout and immediately sent the barrel out for the conversion. Once back, in a matter of two weeks, I had it out to the range after putting primers in the modules. Amazing! This rifle shoots every 250 - 300 gr bullet I tried out of it under MOA and at velocities up in the 2200-2400 fps with 55 gr of H4198. And the muzzle brake on it makes the recoil feel like shooting a .243 even though the rifle is fairly light weight. I know this isn't traditional muzzleloading but its just another advancement in its evolution. Believe me I still enjoy making white smoke from my inlines and traditionals. This is just another toy.
Left target below was shot with 250 gr SSTs and 300 gr Smackdowns. The right target was shot with 300 gr SSTs. All shots were with 55 gr of H4198 at 100 uds.
Now please don't go dumping smokeless powder in you CVA Apex or Optima, Wolf or Accura. It will blow up. This was a .45-70 barrel designed for shooting smokeless that was modified to accept a breech plug.
Attached Thumbnails Smokeless muzzleloader (SML)-sml1.jpg   Smokeless muzzleloader (SML)-sml2.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-09-2024 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 06-07-2024, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure how I missed this thread. Congrats on the conversion, my two 45-70 Apex conversions are some of my favorite muzzleloaders to shoot. Nice shooting! You should try 60 grs of IMR4198, it may tighten things up even more, very accurate for me with a knurled Barnes 250 gr TEZ and a wad.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Curious, are most people shooting smokeless using full bore bullets? No sabots?
Old 06-08-2024, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
Curious, are most people shooting smokeless using full bore bullets? No sabots?
I am and most of the people I consulted when I took over the build of my SML when my dad passed do as well. Something about pressure consistencies being a bit better with quality full bore bullets as well as full bore tend to be a good bit more accurate. Smokeless also heats up the barrel much more than BP and most subs and if you know anything about sabots then you know heat is a serious enemy to them. I've been shooting front stuffers since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Just really started getting into this SML game when Dad died and I have to admit it is a fun game to get into! Going this year to do what the old man actually intended for this rifle to be used on. Yukon Moose.
Old 06-08-2024, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
On another site I was reading a lot about SMLs and I thought I'd give it a shot! One of the cheapest ways to go was to have a .45-70 CVA Scout converted by reaming out the chamber area and threading it for a smokeless capable breech plug..I had mine done by Hankins Precision Rifles for $400. But before I jump ahead I had purchased the Scout in .45-70 and thought I'd check the accuracy before I sent it out. Being that I had a few other .45-70s I had plenty of ammo. No matter what I shot downrange they all shot MOA or better. I thought to myself, no way am I getting this rifle converted because it shoots too good. So I went and purchased another identical Scout and immediately sent the barrel out for the conversion. Once back, in a matter of two weeks, I had it out to the range after putting primers in the modules. Amazing! This rifle shoots every 250 - 300 gr bullet I tried out of it under MOA and at velocities up in the 2200-2400 fps with 55 gr of H4198. And the muzzle brake on it makes the recoil feel like shooting a .243 even though the rifle is fairly light weight. I know this isn't traditional muzzleloading but its just another advancement in its evolution. Believe me I still enjoy making white smoke from my inlines and traditionals. This is just another toy.
Left target below was shot with 250 gr SSTs and 300 gr Smackdowns. The right target was shot with 300 gr SSTs. All shots were with 55 gr of H4198 at 100 uds.
Now please don't go dumping smokeless powder in you CVA Apex or Optima, Wolf or Accura. It will blow up. This was a .45-70 barrel designed for shooting smokeless that was modified to accept a breech plug.
Mr B, that thing is stupid accurate! You sure it was you shooting it (said with a smile and a small giggle)
Old 06-08-2024, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Mr B, that thing is stupid accurate! You sure it was you shooting it (said with a smile and a small giggle)
Yeah young man it was me and I wish you luck on yoyr moose hunt. You won't be undergunned with your smokeless.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BuckDoeHunter
Not sure how I missed this thread. Congrats on the conversion, my two 45-70 Apex conversions are some of my favorite muzzleloaders to shoot. Nice shooting! You should try 60 grs of IMR4198, it may tighten things up even more, very accurate for me with a knurled Barnes 250 gr TEZ and a wad.
I have 295 gr TEZs but they are way too small in diameter for my bore. The just fall down it.
Old 07-13-2024, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. B, have you slugged that barrel to see what the true diameter is? Since it started life as a .45/70 barrel then it SHOULD be around (groove): .458 and (land); ,452 . If I remember correctly those 295 TEZ's are .451 correct?
Old 08-03-2024, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Mr. B, have you slugged that barrel to see what the true diameter is? Since it started life as a .45/70 barrel then it SHOULD be around (groove): .458 and (land); ,452 . If I remember correctly those 295 TEZ's are .451 correct?

You're correct. The TEZs fall down the barrel. I could probably get them to shoot if I knurled them but that's too much trouble. I didn't slug my bore but I have an adjustable sizing die and I just keep running a bullet thru the die after minor adjustment until I can start it down the bore.
I'm new to this smokeless game and I just found out that you need to size on a fouled bore otherwise after you start shooting they will become too tight to get down if sized on a clean bore. That's another good thing about smokeless, you can go out a day or two before the season and shoot to verify your POI and leave the barrel fouled for hunting and you can leave it that way all season an not worry about corrosion. Also, when sizing bullets I found that you have to run bullets thru the sizing die several times to prevent them from bouncing back (elasticity). Hornady SSTs and FTXs go thru the die 5x.
Old 09-22-2024, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bunters_life you think that rifle is accurate you should see the Woodman Arms Omega shoot the 225 gr Fury tipped bullets!
3 shots in almost the same hole at 100 yards!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.