Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The new ELD-X muzzleloader bullet

Old 01-11-2024, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The new ELD-X muzzleloader bullet

Not talking about the one that came out a few years ago. Talking about the new 340gr one that came out 2023. Looks a good bit longer and seems to have a much higher SD and BC.

Just wondering if anyone here got a chance to use one on game. A bullet can be the most accurate in the world but if it has poor terminal performance then I am not in the lest bit interested.

Just got a new inline and have been researching good bullets. Most all of my muzzle loader experience is in traditional side locks PB or con. Even went through a paper patched phase for a while with one of my Green Mountain barreled percussion rifles. Was the loosest barrel I'd ever gotten from them. But with a bit of experimentation that thing ended up one of my most accurate rifles.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with these let me know please. Hate to injure an animal because of poor terminal performance. Dad had amazing accuracy a long time ago with I think they were called "shockwaves" but at the speeds he was putting out with that TC of his, anything he hit closer than 70 yards, if he hit shoulder, the bullet blew up and didn't penetrate worth a damn. He hated having to track a blown up shoulder deer and follow up with another shot. Man hated seeing an animal suffer. I'm the same way.
Old 01-15-2024, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

This?

50 Cal .499 Bore Driver® ELD-X® 340gr

https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloadin...river-eld-x#!/

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/t...r-eld-x.58070/

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-15-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thankyou GM but I had already seen several "tests" by both Hornady and a few others. I was curious if anyone had taken any game with them and their real world performance. While they can "somewhat" simulate game, water bottles and ballistic gel really don't do justice to a whitetail or elk. Just too many different environments to simulate.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not hard to figure out what will happen to that bullet when pushed with a heavy load of BH209. Seriously if its coming apart like that in water with only 80grV of BH209.....What do you think would happen with 120grV and an elk shoulder.

Why not just get the Fury BONDED full bore for the same price or less for a bonded bullet?
https://www.furycustombullets.com/pr...oader-bullets/

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-17-2024 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly, I won't waste my money on these. I tried the .45 cals and they shot horribly. I wanted to shoot them out of my new smokeless muzzy but couldn't get any better than 2 - 2.25" groups with them. That same rifle shoots 200 gr SSTs and 325 gr FTXs under MOA.