Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about powder charge

Old 11-21-2023, 10:53 AM
Spike

Default Question about powder charge

I got tired of the inconsistences with pellets and decided to play around with granular powder. I experimented with Triple 7 and Pyrodex and was very happy with the results. From my TC Optima, using 85 grains of Pyrodex with a 240 grain cheap shot sabot; I kept a 5 shot group at almost one inch. At 75 yards 1.5 inches. My question is will 85 grains of powder provide enough power to ethically kill a deer out past 50-75 yards? I'm going to play around more with different charge loads after the season but don't want to mess with a good set up now. Normally I won't be shooting past 100 yards because not presented with many opportunities to shoot past that where I currently hunt; and most shots occur around 50-75 yards. But, I want to be able to reach out a little more if the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-21-2023, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by tankerchief
I got tired of the inconsistences with pellets and decided to play around with granular powder. I experimented with Triple 7 and Pyrodex and was very happy with the results. From my TC Optima, using 85 grains of Pyrodex with a 240 grain cheap shot sabot; I kept a 5 shot group at almost one inch. At 75 yards 1.5 inches. My question is will 85 grains of powder provide enough power to ethically kill a deer out past 50-75 yards? I'm going to play around more with different charge loads after the season but don't want to mess with a good set up now. Normally I won't be shooting past 100 yards because not presented with many opportunities to shoot past that where I currently hunt; and most shots occur around 50-75 yards. But, I want to be able to reach out a little more if the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks in advance
Yes, it most certainly will. I killed deer with 85 grains of 3F powder and a round ball with no problem.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Yes, it most certainly will. I killed deer with 85 grains of 3F powder and a round ball with no problem.
My concern is a .490 lead ball is 177 grains so it's moving a lot faster than 240 grain sabot. I don't have access to a chronograph to figure out kinetic energy to be sure. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-22-2023, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Talking You will be fine

I was shooting speer 50 caliber round patched balls. You will be fine. Your shooting at deer, not Rinos.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

tankerchief, I commonly use 85-90gr Swiss under a 340gr maxi ball through my Renegade and have never lost a deer. More than a few at 90-100yds. Just make sure you know your hold at 100 and let it eat.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:21 AM
Typical Buck

My grandson shot his first deer at about 50 yds with his 45 cal ML shooting a 345gr conical with a load of 50gr of 3F. She never knew what hit her. Since then he shot a few more with that load and is now using 65gr of 777-3F as he is older now and can tolerate more recoil. Not that 65gr of a stout load.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like your question was answered unanimously!
Old 02-29-2024, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more voice: My favorite deer load a 385 gr. 50 cal. Hornady Great Plains bullet over 80 grains of Triple 7. Kills them quite dead.