Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Encore Custom Barrels

Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default T/C Encore Custom Barrels

Besides hunting, I enjoy punching paper. Am seeking a rifle that will continually shoot sub MOA groups. Prefer to have one where bullet holes constantly touch.

Was considering a custom rifle until a friend suggested I put a custom barrel of the caliber which I decide onto my Thompson Center Encore.

Anyone have experience with custom barrel accuracy out of an Encore? I will likely purchase calibers in 6 - 6.5 mm and .300.

I plan to replace the trigger spring on the Encore too.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to TC frames, it's not just the barrels you have to work on. The old man had a pro hunter frame that he did some work on using that Bellm kit from Mike Bellm. Has shims, hinge pin and everything else you need to really set one up to make holes touch in combination with a good barrel.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Besides hunting, I enjoy punching paper. Am seeking a rifle that will continually shoot sub MOA groups. Prefer to have one where bullet holes constantly touch.

Was considering a custom rifle until a friend suggested I put a custom barrel of the caliber which I decide onto my Thompson Center Encore.

Anyone have experience with custom barrel accuracy out of an Encore? I will likely purchase calibers in 6 - 6.5 mm and .300.

I plan to replace the trigger spring on the Encore too.
Are you looking for something like this? https://matchgrademachine.com/
Old 01-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Haus of Arms has some MGM barrels too a bit cheaper and they ship free.
http://www.hausofarms.com/HOAMGM-BARRELS_c_1679.html

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-21-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
When it comes to TC frames, it's not just the barrels you have to work on. The old man had a pro hunter frame that he did some work on using that Bellm kit from Mike Bellm. Has shims, hinge pin and everything else you need to really set one up to make holes touch in combination with a good barrel.
That what I am wondering. Is the action worthy of trying to put money in to a custom? Sounds like it HL. Thank you for the reply. I will give it a try.

I bought a new hinge pin (one size larger) and a trigger spring from Mike. The hinge pin did not affect the accuracy in the .50 cal muzzleloader barrel. Fit was pretty tight. Have no desire to try and cram a larger pin in there. Waited until season out to do the spring. Season ended last weekend. Have not done it yet. Mike is from my small home town in IL. Didn't know it until I read his hand written note on the receipt.

Yes, looking at MGM and all others.

Anyone have experience with removing the accurizer from the Encore muzzleloader barrel? Most everything I read says it helps.

Last edited by rogerstv; 01-22-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes the actions can be set up to make some pretty darn good shooters. The old man consistently banged our 16" gong at 800 yards with both his .30/06 and .300wm barrels on that pro hunter. His .50cal ml barrel would keep inside of 2" at 200 yards on a dead wind day. Mike can guide you well on what all you will need to really set that frame up. I gave my brother dad's setup so I don't have it on hand to tell you all he did to it. I do know he had one or 2 Hart barrels and the rest were TC barrels and all of them were deadly accurate.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bullberry has some nice Encore barrels. They use Douglas blanks as well as some others too i think. The BullBerry cost more but they also use a different hanger system for the stock.

EABCO also sells Encore barrels. I think they use Shaw blanks but not sure. Kinda pricey for a Shaw blank IMO if you consider the cost of the MGM is only a few bucks more and ships free too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-24-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to try at least one custom rifle barrel for the Encore. Not sure which caliber yet.