Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thor 63g Aluminum Bullet

Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thor 63g Aluminum Bullet

Jonathan (MountainDevil54) provided this Thor 45 caliber 63 grain Aluminum Bullet. The bullet came with sabot.

The distance between the rifle and horse is 25 yard. The powder charge is 50 grain Blackhorn.

The bullet went through the front jug; the jug was damaged slightly. The bullet was caught by the second jug. The last four jugs were undamaged.

_
Old 04-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well that wasn't very impressive was it? looks like you can even reuse that bullet. I wouldn't expect much penetration from a bullet that light and that light a charge. Might be a good bullet for vermin though.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Banned

Keep in mind, Terry at thor shoots these at 2800-3000 fps.

Im surprised that aluminum is that tough with that charge. I figured for sure it was an exploder lol.

The 250gr REALs I sent would be interesting to. I imagine they will do as I expect and just plow a hole through what ever until it runs out of steam.

Thanks Ron! Appreciate you taking the time to test that Thor. I figured its an interesting bullet, may as well take a look.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a bullet that light, 50gr BH isn't really all that light of a charge. With the charge being almost equal the weight of the bullet you could pretty much bet the speed of that thing was well in excess of 2000fps. Considering 80gr charge will put a 250gr bullet to 1740. That much surface area coupled with that light weight would make it a pretty good varmint bullet out to 150 or so but I doubt it could buck any wind at all past that. I surely wouldn't shoot it at anything bigger than a coyote.