Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on sighting-in.

Old 10-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on sighting-in.

I recently sighted my Black Daimond using the same loads as last year. My first shot was 4" to the right but each and every one of the next 5 shots were right on. My first shot was from a " clean" gun, and all the rest were fired after swabbing the barrell a few times. Of course I cleaned the gun that evening. My question:...Can I expect my first shot from a " clean" gun to hit where my last 5 did?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question on sighting-in.

If your gun shoots that way after being cleaned than I would suggest taking a shot or 2 before going out in the woods. I would also try cleaning the gun and shooting again because that first shot could have been a " flyer" and not represent the way the gun will shoot all the time when its clean.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question on sighting-in.

Quite possible, i suggest you head back and see if the first shot was human error or the gun likes a bit of fouling to produce the results you expect. If so then shot a fouling shot and go hunting! In my case a clean barrel has no effects on my POI, so I haven' t experienced this problem but if your gun likes some grit than give it what it likes.
Did you have a heavy coat of oil in the barrel? This can cause POI shifts and after the first shot you burned it off to return to normal.