Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Almost time!

Old 10-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Parker 275g BE, 105g Blackhorn, crush rib sabot, W209 primer, Omega X7.........................unless i change my mind.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm using a Wolf with open sights. Hornady Great Plains 385gr bullet with 75gr of Schuetzen 2F black powder.

This is really my elk load that i'm trying next year. I still have a muley buck tag for the last week of this month. So, i'll try the load for that too. I'll be hunting right under timberline at 11,000ft in the timber.

I'm hoping the snow will hold off until the hunt so the bucks will still be there.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

I'm using a 240gr XTP Mag on 2 pellets of 777. Skipping early ML Because it's too hot. 80's for highs and we just don't see deer moving were we are with those temps.

Last year we lucked out and had a cold front drop temps into the 30's for lows and 50's for high. Saw a bunch of deer and bagged a 8pt at 7am opening morning. I was using the Honady 250gr SST on that one.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm using a Wolf with open sights. Hornady Great Plains 385gr bullet with 75gr of Schuetzen 2F black powder.

This is really my elk load that i'm trying next year. I still have a muley buck tag for the last week of this month. So, i'll try the load for that too. I'll be hunting right under timberline at 11,000ft in the timber.

I'm hoping the snow will hold off until the hunt so the bucks will still be there.
Nothing wrong with that load at all for deer Pete. Big and slow has worked for me many times. Less meat damage and I can hear the impact much better to know if I made a good hit Thump usually= good shoulder hit. Thwack usually= just behind the shoulder with ribs breaking. Deep hollow thump usually= a bad day having to trail a gut shot deer
Old 10-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I know what I'm going with for our PA early ML season. The 295 gr Barnes T-EZ and 95 gr of Black MZ out of my CVA Accura V2. It worked well in NC so I'm sure it will work in PA. I just need to hobble to a nice fat log to sit on and hope one passes by.
Done got my log all set up and waiting for my big butt The knee is about 70% but I aint about to trust it going up a tree stand just yet. May take my climber and go up about 6 feet just for a better line of sight but that's as far as I'm willing to push it this year.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

White 451 super safari , 75 gr by weight 777 , 465 gr conical by Ed
52 Knight DE , 90 gr by weight Blackhorn , 375 gr. Barnes
Old 10-15-2016, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Nothing wrong with that load at all for deer Pete. Big and slow has worked for me many times. Less meat damage and I can hear the impact much better to know if I made a good hit Thump usually= good shoulder hit. Thwack usually= just behind the shoulder with ribs breaking. Deep hollow thump usually= a bad day having to trail a gut shot deer
Yes, no problem for a muley. I never use a load that won't kill a grumpy bear. Regardless of what i'm hunting. Just in case.

I know some will say anything that will kill a deer will kill a bear. I don't agree. Maybe if you hunt in trees over bait when you can take the perfect shot it will. Not always for a large charging bear face to face on the ground.

So, being a boy scout as a kid. I'm always prepared. I really wanted to use the 460gr NoExcuses, but they fit too loose. Knurling them didn't help.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

So right Muley. I remember reading a long time ago when a grizzly bear guide was asked why he carried a .45-70 and not a 300 mag. His reply was "cause a grizzly ain't dangerous when he's 300 yards away"! I have to agree with him.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Plus, it's just easier to use the same load for everything I hunt for elk, bear, and deer. The right load works fine for all of them.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup! And if I'm in Brownie territory, I don't give a rat's pitute if the law allows it or not, my .500S&W is strapped on and ready. Them Brownies tend to not wait for you to reload if you didn't put him down on the first shot.