Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Understanding the Lehigh Controled fracturing bullets.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Understanding the Lehigh Controled fracturing bullets.

With today’s bullets everyone seems to worry about weight and energy. And with most of today’s bullets rightfully so. But the Lehigh controlled fracturing bullets are the exact opposite. The key with the Lehigh controlled fracturing bullets is lighter and faster. The reason why the lighter bullets are better is because of the petals. The petals are longer and heavier on the lighter bullets. The petals are what make the Lehigh controlled fracturing second to none. The longer and heavier those petals are, the more damage they do inside the game you are shooting. And obviously more trauma/shock that occurs inside the animal. As you’ve seen in Rons testing, the Metplate of the bullet penetrates as far and farther than most bullets. It’s pretty hard not to have an exit with a Lehigh. I know that’s never happened to me on Elk or even Russian Boars. They always exited.
I have been using these bullets for many years now. And I finally asked Dave at Lehigh why the 200grn Bloodline kills a lot better than all the rest. His answer was what I explained above. The petals are longer and create more internal damage. I’ve shot a lot of game with the 250grn, 275, and 300. But the little 200grn woops them extremely noticeable on game.
So the key with these bullets is velocity, and knowing at what distance the petals will shear and do their job. This is important to mention to, if you go outside that range, the bullet will work like every other conventional mushrooming bullet.
I hope this helps anyone currently using these bullets and ones that are looking into using them.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tom tell us what powder loads you use, and the working range for best results.
I have been using Lehigh bullets for hunting ever since they came out and they are impressive. I use 140 gr. BH in the Endeavor and it has dropped every head of game I shot with it . I use 120 in the 45 because it has a Bergara barrel which does not test out as strong, but it also has shown excellent results.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Tom tell us what powder loads you use, and the working range for best results.
I have been using Lehigh bullets for hunting ever since they came out and they are impressive. I use 140 gr. BH in the Endeavor and it has dropped every head of game I shot with it . I use 120 in the 45 because it has a Bergara barrel which does not test out as strong, but it also has shown excellent results.
Good questions Lee. The new Lehigh bullets are designed to shear the petals at lower velocities then the Bloodlines. Ill do the testing on that once i get the 40cal bullets. This way i can do them all at the same time.

I shoot the same loads as you. I shot a Doe at 405 yards a few years ago with the prototype 230grn Bloodline and the patals sheared and the Deer dropped were it was standing like 2 seconds after i shot it. That was with 140grns of Bh209.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

How does the size and profile of the Lehigh 245gr CF compare to the prototype 265gr copper bullet. Mainly in regards to length and ogive since caliber is the same.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
How does the size and profile of the Lehigh 245gr CF compare to the prototype 265gr copper bullet. Mainly in regards to length and ogive since caliber is the same.
It looks bigger by eye, but i dont have any with me now. The new design is because we did not like the performance of the Brass Lehigh bullets. This has nothing to do with Bloodlines. The Bloodlines are good as ever.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 10-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

That reminds me I have a bunch of 200 gr. 40 cal Bloodlines I want to retry in my .45 GM LRH barrel.
This time though I will try it with Black MZ instead of Pyro P.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Should be a good black bear bullet huh? Penetration and expansion. A hard combo to get.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:19 AM
Banned

not really pete.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Should be a good black bear bullet huh? Penetration and expansion. A hard combo to get.
I wish I could use it Elk hunting. I would even be happy using it in a 50cal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.