Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Lehigh 265 gr. ML Bullet

Old 10-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Lehigh 265 gr. ML Bullet

Grouse has already introduced you to this bullet and there is not a lot I can add to it, but I do have some information I want to add...

The bullet samples arrived this morning... I opened the package and looked at the bullets and really had as lot of excitement for them. The first thing I did was to try one in a 45 cal Super DISC... I was sure it would be to big but I had to try - it was to tight to load - I need a .4515 to get down the bore. From there I took the bullet to the shop to run it through a .452 sizing die. Lubed the bullet placed it in the die and tried to push it threw - not happening!!! So now I am back to what the bullet was intended for shooting on a 50 cal. ML.

When the bullets arrived and after my initial inspection I really wanted to get the farm and do some shooting - problem was mother nature was not co-operating - it was raining...on and off!!! Twice I made the dash to the farm as the weather was good in Moscow, but at the farm it wasn't... Finally around 2 in the afternoon the sun came out and everything was good! Made the decision that I knew the time might be short so I was just going to shoot a few bird just to see how the bullet would shoot from my rifle.

I immediately setup 4 birds - one at 75 yards and 3 at 100 yards. By the time I got the bench up and in place - things were changing... as this next storm started rolling in...

I really felt my time would be short before the rains would come again. I loaded up the first shot and sat down at the bench - set the rifle in a 6 O'clock hold on the 75 yard bird. To my surprise I shot the heart out of the bird!!! From there I moved to the 100 yard birds. The first two shots exploded the two birds... I load the fourth bullet and I wanted to make the adjustment to shoot the heart out of the last bird out. This time I held slightly below the bird and took the shot. Heart gone!!!

After this bird shooting it really appeared to me that I had time to get some velocities as well as punch some holes in paper that I really do not like doing. So I got the chrono and target set up. I set the target at 75 yards for the velocity checks. I was so pleased with the 75 yards results I decided to move the target to 100 yards. Got in two more shots with excellent results... and yes I really believe I got lucky! You noticed I did not take the third shot that might ruin the good thing.

After this first shooting event I would write a open note to Lehigh Dave stating for years I have always believed that the Lehigh/Bloodline .458x275 grain bullet was by far the best all-around bullet he had created. After this shooting I would easily say this new bullet could and will surpass the versatility of the older 275. Of course before I can stand on that statement - I need to see the 'Terminal Performance' of the bullet on a few animals.

I would also like to include a few additional pictures in this collection that might provide some additional information about this new bullet.

This is a picture that shows today work bench.

Really hope to get out more for further testing - but the rifle deer season starts on the 10th. At this time I will use the new bullet for these hunts... and I know Grouse is using it in Colorado.
Availability of this new bullet - still is a question that I can not answer. I do know that Lehigh Dave is very conservative on releasing much of anything until the product has been proven.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
Thats awesome shooting and you definately shot them better then me. Cant wait to see how they perform on game. Ill shoot a couple Deer with them before going to Colorado and see how they work. Im pretty confident with all my testing there gonna work like i expect.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You get the tips for them yet? I wouldn't mind testing a few tipped ones at range to see how well they hold up. 250-300 would probably be most peoples max range on live game. 250 is my absolute MAX that I would shoot and that would only be under ideal conditions. Other than that, 150 is as far as I take my MLer.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
You get the tips for them yet? I wouldn't mind testing a few tipped ones at range to see how well they hold up. 250-300 would probably be most peoples max range on live game. 250 is my absolute MAX that I would shoot and that would only be under ideal conditions. Other than that, 150 is as far as I take my MLer.
They are in the process of making the tips and will get them out soon I hope.

But I got to tell you I would have no problem shooting these to 200 yards + just they way they are. I think Grouse already has.

Not that the bullets are the same but I have shot the Lehigh 300 grain to 186 yards on one elk harvest with out a problem and 200 yards at pie plates but I do not think that really proves anything.

Also while shooting the other day at the farm I could here somewhat of a hissing sound but it didn't seem to bother the shooting
Old 10-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Sabotloader,
Thats awesome shooting and you definately shot them better then me. Cant wait to see how they perform on game. Ill shoot a couple Deer with them before going to Colorado and see how they work. Im pretty confident with all my testing there gonna work like i expect.

Grouse - I have to tell you I think I got really lucky - that is why I did not shoot the 3rd shot at 75 and then at a 100 there was no way I was taking the 3rd shot.

Hopefully later this week I can get back to the farm and extend the range.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Very good shooting. Man you put the powder to them. While the velocities are high, I actually would have guessed them higher. But that's not to say they don't have plenty of push to them. It should be an interesting hunting season for sure.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Very good shooting. Man you put the powder to them. While the velocities are high, I actually would have guessed them higher. But that's not to say they don't have plenty of push to them. It should be an interesting hunting season for sure.
I really wish I could get a little more velocity out of them so I could increase the energy to a 1000 ft./lbs. at 200 yards. I feel very comfortable with a 1000 harvesting an elk humanely.

The bullet is just a bit to light for that shot but the impending tip and the installation of that tip could get me to 1200 ft./lbs.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Darn you Sabot. It looks like I will have to give these a try when they become available. Especially if they shoot that well. I have no complaints with what I'm currently using but these look pretty darn good. But first I'll wait the results of the results on game.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Darn you Sabot. It looks like I will have to give these a try when they become available. Especially if they shoot that well. I have no complaints with what I'm currently using but these look pretty darn good. But first I'll wait the results of the results on game.
Well actually I think they might even be better when Lehigh Dave gets the tips for the bullets... I ran another ballistic sheet with tips...

I can live with 1200 ft./lbs. @ 200

But here's the disclaimer these are confident guesses on BC but until Grouse runs them through both Chrono's these should be considered calculations through the Barnes Ballistics...
Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know, I just looked at your pics again Sabot and I have a little question. Now far be it for me to to question the "professionals" at Barns, but how can a bullet with a wider meplat have a higher BC than a bullet with a more narrow meplat? That math just doesn't compute in my poor little brain. I'm just looking at pics, mind you, not throwing the calipers on the bullets but that Barns bullet looks a good bit wider in the front than the Lehigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.