Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Having Problems with my Seneca!!

Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Having Problems with my Seneca!!

Had the Seneca out yesterday and had problems trying to zero it in. She was hitting way high. I have stock sights on it and the rear sight can not be lowered anymore. It is bottomed out. I was shooting the TC Maxi Hunter, 255 gr. bullet. I could get a higher front sight, but think the way to go will be with a peep sight. Any suggestions?

I remember the Williams and Marble tang sights. I have used a Williams on my 1886 Winchester and like it. It will give me more adjustments and should cure my problem.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are using light loads the recoil may be lifting the barrel before the bullet exits, in that case I would try mare powder. I the tang is very tight I would back it off a quarter.
If nothing else works get a taller front sight.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

RA - I really like peep sights for accurate shooting. But for faster target acquisition I think open sights are better. I know Lyman makes a peep for the T/C Hawkens and Renegades but I'm not sure about the Seneca (or Cherokee). If you get one you may have to do some drilling and tapping of the tang.
Another option if you are willing to take it and you have the space is to take a small needle file and file the notch in the rear sight down. Once you get it where it is hitting where you want it is to file down the top of the sight so your "V" isn't as deep.
But I'd first try dumping a higher charge like Lee said.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by lemoyne
If you are using light loads the recoil may be lifting the barrel before the bullet exits, in that case I would try mare powder. I the tang is very tight I would back it off a quarter.
If nothing else works get a taller front sight.
Hey Lee, I tried to go from 85 grs to 75 grs. and the POI lowered by five inches. At this rate I figure I would have to go to 45 grs. to get the POI where I need it.

I will be using this gun for hunting and want to keep the powder loads higher if I can.

Bronco22000:

I like the idea of the filing the rear sight. I did that with my Zoli and that worked nicely. I;m sure I will have to drill and tape at least one hole to fit the tang peep sight, no problem. I'm still looking and researching this problem. thanks guys!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

rafsob...

I sent you a PM.

BPS