Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson/Center XTP Bullets in Mag Express Sabot explained

Old 12-12-2016, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dhasemann
I was able to test the 240g XTP Mag on a whitetail this muzzleloader season and it performed perfectly. The shot was 110 yards and it left much bigger holes in and out than the Hornady SST 250g my buddy used on his deer.
Less than a 100gr volume. Or did you use more?
I'm guessing less than 100, for that mag bullet is a stubborn expander, when used with magnum powder charges.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I used 90g volume Blackhorn 209 powder.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Another item of note about the sabots. I trie both the crush rib black and the smooth black Mag Express sabots. My gun with the .452 XTP Mag bullet would only group well with the black crush rib sabots. The Mag Express smooth black sabots were all over the place at 100 yards. The Mag Express sabots and bullet were a tight fit in the barrel where as the crush rib were snug but slid down the barrel easy even after shooting. Just thought I would relay that bit of info. I did not expect that much difference in groupings from different sabots.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

dhas

Welcome to the World Of Blackhorn 209. It can be-both finicky and unpredictable - sometimes both, on the same shot fired.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
dhas

Welcome to the World Of Blackhorn 209. It can be-both finicky and unpredictable - sometimes both, on the same shot fired.
I find that statement to be 100% incorrect. As far as my testing goes, it's by far the most consistent BP sub on the market today. As long as you are using the proper equipment (primers and correct breech plug) for it. Seating pressure is about the only thing it's really picky at all about and to be honest, you should have proper seating pressure with ANY black powder or sub. His inconsistency had absolutely nothing to do with BH. Some sabot/bullet combos just don't work out of some rifles. Plain and simple.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a finicky powder it sure has won a ton of times at the Inline Match at Friendship. Some of the scores have been new records too IIRC. Many of those wins have been with easy loading sabotless bullets.

Im glad i have zero issues using it in 3 different brand of rifles and plugs. Its been flawless except with the FPJ Knight plug that had a badly fouled flash channel.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

The problem seemed to be the sabots and not the powder. I had the same issues using 777 pellets. As for the BH209, so far I love the stuff. Performs as good as the pellets or better for me and is a heck of a lot cleaner. Added bonus is I get to see the deer after the shot (little smoke}. I have the BH209 breach plug for my CVA Its the only thing that is hard to clean up after shooting.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Soaking the plug in all purpose windex cleaner may help your cleaning issues. This windex has vinegar in it, and seems to work good for softening the soot from Blackhorn.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. Hoppe's #9 is not real effective unless I lightly use a brass brush. Q-tips and #9 is a slow process.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoppe's Elite is a little better than the #9 at soaking the plug with. As Ron stated, Windex AP also does a pretty good job of softening. Get yourself one of them screwdriver handles that you can put the drill bit in for cleaning your flash channel. And the properly sized torch tip cleaner for the flash hole. Another cleaning tip I ran across a little bit back was dry wiping your bore a couple of passes before you hit it with a wet cleaning patch. You will find you will get a faster cleanup if you run a dry patch through a couple of passes to clear out the ash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.