Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whats the Best way to sight in a new scope.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:36 PM

Default Whats the Best way to sight in a new scope.

I just got a new 3200 bushnell. I probably will not have time to get it boresighted and go shoot it. So I just thought I might try my luck at it on the range if its possible without to much trouble. It' s hard to do anything when you work till 5:00 then your on call this week and its dark at 6:30.Anyone with some help.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Whats the Best way to sight in a new scope.

I am guessing that you have a load all worked out for the rifle. So getting a group with the rifle is not the problem. I would take the rifle and shoot the first group at 25 yards just to get it on paper. At this range minimum adjustment is needed. Just get a tight group with in three inches of the bullseye. Then move back the the distance you will want the rifle sighted in, be that 100 yards or what, and try and see what group it shoots. If the group is tight, move the scope. If the group is not tight, then you might have to work on your load a little before making the final scope adjustments.

Believe this or not, when I sight in a new muzzleloader with open sights, the first place I sight in at is 13 yards. I expect a very solid one hole group there. Then I move back to 25 yards. Again the group has to be very tight, and some major sight adjustment is made. After that I just start moving back to the different distances, making notes of where the group is at what distance, and I get a good chance to see how the gun holds true at strange distances.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Pinesap
Here is my method. I use a Lohman sight vise but any rigid mount will do. I securly mount the gun, adjust the rest so that I am on bull at 25yds, let 1 shot go. With the gun still in the vise, I put it back on the bull and dial the cross hairs over to where the shot hit. That should be your zero. From that point I would move to 50 and depending on my load I would adjust for elevation and start having fun. You will have some minor adjustments to elecvation and windage but it a fast means of getting to the end when time is not on your side.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I use an arbor type boresighter .