Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Bang Flop That Ran Off

Old 03-13-2016, 01:23 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry about oldbob - the one liners have no bearing on this topic, offer nothing positive, and are viewed as an attempt to stir the pot.

JW
Old 03-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Okay, I got a bit of a head ache trying to understand this.

We are all agreement that the .54cal fires a larger and heavier ball, correct?

The larger ball carries higher knock down power #'s.

I shot my 175-200lb hog at 47 to 50ish yards with 80gr 2fg goex and a 177 grain .490" round ball. The ball went straight through the hogs shoulder bones, breaking both completely in half during inspection while butchering the hog.

How exactly does the .54cal which fires a heavier, more Ft lbs of energy round ball, still have the limit of my 50cal on hogs?

Also, what plate are we talking about? I saw a typical shoulder plate but nothing that was thicker than elk or deer that I have shot. I'm pretty sure I hit that plate with my .50cal round ball.

------
I really wish we could have found that hog, but with no light and thick brush, we will never know what happened.

---------

On second thought, I believe grouse said he was can hunting hogs with some guys and they were shooting 2-3-4 shots into these hogs before they died. And they were using big lead conicals, not round balls.
Yes, multiple shots for sure with big heavy conicals. Over a period of three years it was proven that big slow heavy conicals couldn't do the job reliably. But, these Russian Boars had big thick plates and much harder to kill then Elk.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

IMO and experience not all bullets will impress animals every time. Example of this I was deer hunting in Webster Co, KY with my 300 win Mag with 180 gr Win BST's. I shot a real nice 10 point @ 231 yds broadsided half way up the body right tight behind the shoulder and it ran nearly 400 yds before it died. Now 5 seconds after that shot I dropped a doe at the same range. I am a firm believer in penetration of the vitals. I don't rely on hydrostatic shock and never have. The .54 should out penetrate the .50 cal prb. However, every time an animal is shot it is usually at different angles, bullet placement as well as all physilogical proponents vary. You get different results from each shot on living animals. That's why it's called hunting and not killing. Anyway that's my opinion and my philosophy.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Found the boar yesterday while killing pigs. Hog had a large flesh wound about 2.5 inches behind the ear. Animal died about 175 yards from where it was hit.

More important than the gun or bullet used is shot placement. i've killed big hogs with numerous types of bullets and calibers including the much touted 9.3x62.

This hog weighed 384 pounds. The 250 grain SST, or Shockwave, i forget which; penetrated 19" of hog an was found under the skin on the off side. Hog went about 200 yards after being hit.

i more recently killed a bigger hog, weight unknown, with a patched .54 round ball.

Last edited by falcon; 03-14-2016 at 04:29 AM.