Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Beat the rain and got to shoot - lehighs and Noslers

Old 03-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Beat the rain and got to shoot - lehighs and Noslers

We, according to the local weather prognosticator had a small window of opportunity this morning to get some shooting in... rain most of the day yesterday - rain this afternoon continuing to Monday. Sooo it was time to go this morning.

Decided I wanted to shoot one of my older rifles. A 45 cal. Knight DISC Extreme. I picked this rifle up for a very nice price as the owner was selling it because it had a pitted barrel and he had used some of the other parts on the rifle for another project. When I got it I cleaned it up put is a wood stock that I got from Sqezer. Located the parts I needed put it all together and to it for a shooting trip. It shot great so I still have it. Haven't shot it in ages so it was due.

Really wasn't much planned for the trip just some recreational shooting for enjoyment.

I shot two different bullets just in the name of testing... One the Lehigh/Bloodline 40x200 - this is probably the best 40 cal. bullet that I shoot for harvesting deer. The internal operation of the petals and the hydrostatic shock created by the bullet passing through is a tremendous shock and strain on the animal. And best of all it is really accurate.

Because I really can not afford to shoot it for most activities other than hunting I have found a second bullet that will shoot very well as a sub for the Lehigh Bloodline. It is a Nosler 40x200 gr. JHP Sporting Handgun Bullet. The bullet is like this box but 200 grains. There are some really interesting jell texts posted on line with the 40x200 Nosler.

My problem right now is the last time on looked at the Nosler Web site I could not find the bullet listed any longer. It is such a good plinker/target practice bullet I really hate to see it go. If I can find another box of 250 bullets locally think I might just pick up another box.

I did the normal thing setup 8 Biodegradable Birds on the rock wall - then shoot them off the wall. That all went just as planned and after that I spent another bunch of shots at chips and other opportunities on the wall.

Pretty happy with how this old rifle shoots. Just really wish it was a pristine bore - everything else about the rifle is...

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-11-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't shoot either. I shoot the 10mm 200 grain Hornady XTP in my .45 rifles. I really like the way they shoot and behave. No tumbling and they hold true. Never tried the Nosler, so can't comment. Other then I normally find Nosler bullets shoot real good.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nosler still lists the 10mm 200gr and 304 in stock. $44.90/250 is a great price for them too.

http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullet...let-250ct.html

Nosler specifies a pure lead core and a tapered jacket. I dont think the XTP is a pure lead but im really not sure.

BTW the Nosler 45Colt 250gr is a decent sabotless "range fun" bullet for 45cals too. They resize really easy.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-12-2016 at 05:18 AM.