Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Full Bore Lehigh/Bloodline 50-325 & Lehigh Defense 50-350

Old 03-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting Full Bore Lehigh/Bloodline 50-325 & Lehigh Defense 50-350

It was a great day here today - in between rain days yesterday and another few days of rain starting Thursday... Si I wanted to make the most of it.

Headed to Dinger's Farm with a two-fold purpose - I wanted to shoot both the Bloodline 50-325 and the Lehigh 50x350 gr. bullets. The Bloodline 50x325 was produced as a ML bullet to be shot with a sabot in a 54 cal. ML. The other bullet a 50x350 bullet is a rifle bullet and was developed for the 50 Beowulf rifle.

First... the 50x325 has been shot in a test shoot by Ron and from his test we found out that the bullet will not open in water with a velocity of 1300 fps. Lehigh say the low operating velocity for the bullet is 1300 fps. It was a mathematical calculation and is probably correct when shooting the bullet into the thicker blood and tissue medium of an animal. Never-the-less 1300 fps in most ML's is only have an effective range of 150-175 yards.

The second bullet used is designed for the 500 Beowulf and has a low operating velocity of 1200 fps.

The 325's shoot amazingly accurate from a ML, even when shot sabotless. Since the 325 is a ML it does have a larger +/- tolerance than does a center fire bullet. In most cases I can load the 325 in a couple of my 50 cal. Knights and get enough grip on the lands and with the aid of a wad shoot them very accurately. Some of the bullets on the low end of the diameter range do need to knurled to fit the barrel.

The 350 center fire bullet is held to a much tighter tolerance and the diameter varies very little. The bullet will drop right to the bottom of the barrel in most of my 50 cal. rifles. Because of this they all have to be knurled to fit the bore. I have found a way to knurl them using a tubing cutter. I add a knurl near the bottom of the bullet and a second one at the top of the Ogive. I have marked the cutter knob to give met the depth of cut I need to provide the lift to make the bullet fit the barrel very well. There will be a picture of this contraption in the photos coming that will be added later in the thread.

Last night I tried a couple of tests to see what it really takes to open these bullet. Of the 3 bullets that I physically opened by pushing a spire point bullet into the nose of the bullet showed me of the 3 bullet the 325 was or required the most pressure to open and continue the tearing of the petals apart from each other. I totally understand why it takes more velocity to open. When you get to the pictures of the experiment compare the thickness of the 325 petals, especially near the bottom of the petal, as compared to the other test bullets. Again the pics will show up later. The 350's did take a good deal of pressure to start the opening process - but once the nose was open it continued to open with much less pressure.

I ran a ballistic sheet on the 350 and it shows me that I can shoot to 200 yards and still expect this bullet to function. Again expecting this bullet to open in the medium of an animal down to 1000 fps.

I took some time last night and knurled up several bullets for shooting this morning. The first test was to shoot a 50 yard target to test the knurling and the accuracy of the bullet. The test proved very well that the knurling worked and the bullet shot accurately. Again a pic of the target will be included later.

After shooting the target I placed clay pigeons at 75 and 100 yards. Then I began to shoot them with the 350's. I forgot how small a clay pigeon is at a 100 yards looking through a peep site. Even 75 yards it is not very big.

Here is two composite pictures showing the activities of the day.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

You may put a small cut on just the top of each petal my help open better at lower speeds. nice report sabot.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

I am shocked moderation here allows so many Lehigh threads here. There's more Lehigh discussions here, than all the other bullet brands combined. Plus, I seriously doubt Lehigh sells more than 1% of the entire retail ML bullet market.

Why don't you 3-4 Lehigh promoters start your own Lehigh ML messageboard? Seriously, this is ridiculous already. Enuf' free promos on Lehigh here..... just stop already.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
You may put a small cut on just the top of each petal my help open better at lower speeds. nice report sabot.
I am sure if I could apply a small cut correctly in the correct spot - I could achieve what you are thinking.

Another thing I think Lehigh is now aware of this possible problem and will make the adjustments necessary in the future.

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-03-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
I am shocked moderation here allows so many Lehigh threads here. There's more Lehigh discussions here, than all the other bullet brands combined. Plus, I seriously doubt Lehigh sells more than 1% of the entire retail ML bullet market.

Why don't you 3-4 Lehigh promoters start your own Lehigh ML messageboard? Seriously, this is ridiculous already. Enuf' free promos on Lehigh here..... just stop already.
You're trolling.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

Lets do some thinking here. Lehigh makes a great product. Highly innovative. And most every bullet that comes out of the production line functions exactly as promised. They fly well, they hit like a Mack truck, and they dispatch an animal quickly and cleanly. And as far as pricing, they are on the bottom of the high priced scale with many bullets that cost twice as much performing less than the Lehigh products.

Why you have a bug up your bum about Lehigh and those of us who like to use and promote them to hunters because they ARE a fantastic performer is beyond my imagining. I would THINK since you are a hunter that you would be among the folks that want people using a product that will dispatch an animal as humanely as possible. There are many bullets out there that cost twice as much and perform half as well. There are also many many bullets out there that cost half as much and perform not even half as well. Call me frugal but when I spend as much time as I do scouting as well as the cost of my hunting trips, I want a bullet that wont let me down when the time comes for the shot. If you want to take your junky bullets that you tested on a pine tree that's up to you. I personally will take the bullet that shoots well from my rifles and I know for a fact will perform well as long as I put it where it's supposed to go.

Hows that for a promotion?
Old 03-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate and thank all who post range reports, no matter what rifle, powder, or bullet. Keep 'em coming
Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is some fine shooting. i had no idea that full bore monolithic bullets could be so accurate when fired from a muzzleloader.