Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

jaeger rebuild

Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default jaeger rebuild

so i bought this rifle from doc white a fews years back and it's been a great shooter but the rifle was not put together properly when i first received it the screws he used were not correct and some were sticking out and so sharp i cut myself. the parts were not fitted properly either and the rear sight was installed too close to the tang so it did not meet match regulations for distance to the tang it had a rice swamped .50 cal barrel with his initials scrolled on top the the barrel and the finish on the very nice wood stock was tru-oil so i had jason at rice build me a new barrel and install my old tang on the new barrel i doesn't fit as good as the original but that's to be expected. i stripped the old finish and fitted all the parts as best as i could fit the new barrel did a hand rubbed oil finish on the stock.i sent jason an old rear two leaf sight i found on e-bay to fit properly(some original jaegers had them)i sent out the brass and had some engraving done as well as the lock.i have two issues the back of the breech does not fit the stock as tight as the original barrel probably 80 percent contact so i will probably glass bad it ? and i'm not sure on what finish to do on the barrel and lock the lock still has it's original brown but i don't think i can match it myself so not sure if i want to strip lock and do the barrel and lock myself or send it out to have it browned. i was going to have a little scroll work done on it the barrel but don't know if i want to spend the money on it at this point?

Last edited by muzzlestuffer; 05-05-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

couldn't get all the pic's on the last post so here are the rest of them i hope i posted in the right section ? the nose cap appears a little crooked but when finished it sits evenly with the barrel.

Last edited by muzzlestuffer; 05-05-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Very nice looking rifle.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Very nice looking rifle.
thanks can't wait to finish it !