Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva accura v2/lr first impressions

Old 01-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default cva accura v2/lr first impressions

so i finally got to shoot the rifle today after my club shoot i was pretty impressed. i shot 120 grs bh209 with a federal bor lock 270 gr and a federal 209m primer the first three shots 1-1/2" group at 50 yards then adjusted the scope to bring group to center and fired a 1-1/2 group at 100 yards. the bor lock was super easy to load with no cleaning between shots easy to prime and just a super easy gun to shoot if i have one issue it's with the scope the scopes eye relief is not so good as someone already pointed out but i did like the konus pro reticle.the primers shown occasional signs of leaking but i did forget to put the little rubber o-rings in from the western powders bp kit. i think i will drop down the powder charge to 100 grs on the next session that scope gets pretty close to your face with the 120 gr load !
Old 01-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
so i finally got to shoot the rifle today after my club shoot i was pretty impressed. i shot 120 grs bh209 with a federal bor lock 270 gr and a federal 209m primer the first three shots 1-1/2" group at 50 yards then adjusted the scope to bring group to center and fired a 1-1/2 group at 100 yards. the bor lock was super easy to load with no cleaning between shots easy to prime and just a super easy gun to shoot if i have one issue it's with the scope the scopes eye relief is not so good as someone already pointed out but i did like the konus pro reticle.the primers shown occasional signs of leaking but i did forget to put the little rubber o-rings in from the western powders bp kit. i think i will drop down the powder charge to 100 grs on the next session that scope gets pretty close to your face with the 120 gr load !
Yes, 100grns of powder is plenty for that bullet and gun. The Nikon Omega has a long eye relief if your looking for a different scope. I think they quit making them but there still around.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah there are several Nikon Omegas online if you know where to look. Even some new ones I saw just yesterday. And there really isn't any need for a 120gr charge of BH unless you are planning over 200 yard shots. Only reason I use 110gr charge is that's what my barrel prefers. It's a hot load only barrel. 270gr bullet + 120gr BH is a shoulder thumper for sure.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah there are several Nikon Omegas online if you know where to look. Even some new ones I saw just yesterday. And there really isn't any need for a 120gr charge of BH unless you are planning over 200 yard shots. Only reason I use 110gr charge is that's what my barrel prefers. It's a hot load only barrel. 270gr bullet + 120gr BH is a shoulder thumper for sure.
yeah it's a thumper i was just going by the load data on the federal package. i'm a leupold guy but will probably leave the scope as i don't plan on using this gun very much but i think it will be better with the reduced load for sure !!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Yes, 100grns of powder is plenty for that bullet and gun. The Nikon Omega has a long eye relief if your looking for a different scope. I think they quit making them but there still around.
next range session i will test some different load combo's for sure maybe even some 80-90 gr loads? but i am impressed with the gun which took me by surprise as i have been shooting whites for so many years and love shooting them. i have a bunch of leupolds in the safe so if i switch i'll use one of those instead of spending the money on a new one. thanks !!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
next range session i will test some different load combo's for sure maybe even some 80-90 gr loads? but i am impressed with the gun which took me by surprise as i have been shooting whites for so many years and love shooting them. i have a bunch of leupolds in the safe so if i switch i'll use one of those instead of spending the money on a new one. thanks !!
Im a Leupold guy to, just prefer not to bleed.😂😉
Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awwwww comeon Grouse!!! Stitches in the eyebrow are FUN And chicks dig scars. Just don't tellum you gottum from being stupid
Old 01-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

In all my year I haven't got kissed by a scope yet (knock on wood). I remember years ago shooting my left hand Savage 110 in 300WM. My uncle who was also a lefty asked if he could shoot it. We were always busting on each other so I told him not to let it get away on him. He really hunkered down on the bags and after his first shot he muttered something I won't repeat here and handed me the rifle as blood started pouring from his left eyebrow. I started laughing at him and told him "wow, that looks like it hurt". He again said something to me that I also won't repeat.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got bumped just once. It was a Konus. Took it right off.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've gotten bit once or twice at the bench (being stupid) and a couple times in the field off hand snap shooting (Again pure stupidity). It's just not as much fun when you shoot a deer and you are bleeding almost as much as it is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.