Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

All that time casting.....

Old 12-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

Maybe those who were so dirt poor that they couldn't afford the surplus .50-70s that the Army was blowing out, which were being replaced by the .45-70s. This is why the Sharps was called the "Big Fifty", as it was bigger than a .50-70.

Hey, a lot of nice pictures, and a darned pretty rifle! I'm not going to get into a long response....Edited by Champlain Islander...

May the New Year be even better than this one has been!

OldBob
Dirt poor describes the majority back then, but not all PRB users were poor.

The mountain men of those days resisted using a caplock long after it was available.

Don't change what's working is a motto to live by.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I closed this thread for the night and will open again in the morning. I am doing this to eliminate any further continuance of the flame war that has developed over a choice of projectiles. .....CI

The thread is back...please play nice.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 01-01-2016 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by OldBob47
MD54,

Such a deal I have for you. You know I'm never going to use the round ball mold. Plus I have a .50 RB TC mold. Give me an address and I'll send them to you. My son doesn't cast, so this stuff would probably get tossed when I die. I'm on the fence about the .54 Maxi. Are they any good?

OldBob
They work well in my Hawkens.