Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

All that time casting.....

Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default Its not whining.

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Will you give it up. I'm tired of your whining.

The answer is simple, and told to you over and over.
Pete,

bronko posted a reply, in which he was contemplating something different than the PRB, and it was something with which he had some experience. I gave him detailed information from the Lyman handbook I have, pgs 238-239. Why are you interjecting yourself into a dialogue between bronko and me?

Apparently the answer is not simple, as no one has brought forth any information showing why the PRB is superior to any other projectile. I don't know if Colorado is roundball-only, or if conicals may be used, but bronko is under no such restrictions. I think there are better choices than the Great Plains, but that was what he was considering.

OldBob
Old 12-31-2015, 09:38 AM
Banned

This is why I use round balls. A nice clean 140 yard shot with just a simple 80gr pyrodex rs charge to the lungs. 60 yard recovery.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Pete,

bronko posted a reply, in which he was contemplating something different than the PRB, and it was something with which he had some experience. I gave him detailed information from the Lyman handbook I have, pgs 238-239. Why are you interjecting yourself into a dialogue between bronko and me?

Apparently the answer is not simple, as no one has brought forth any information showing why the PRB is superior to any other projectile. I don't know if Colorado is roundball-only, or if conicals may be used, but bronko is under no such restrictions. I think there are better choices than the Great Plains, but that was what he was considering.

OldBob
Please don't insult me with a back step. We all know what you meant, and you rag on the PRB every chance you get.

You don't know why anybody uses a PRB, because you never used one, and have no clue how they work.

I have never said you should use a PRB. Why do I have to explain to you why I use one? Before you say you didn't ask that.

This your quote:

"Please tell me again why anyone would ever choose a roundball."
Old 12-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OldBob47
Apparently the answer is not simple, as no one has brought forth any information showing why the PRB is superior to any other projectile.
Bob, I don't think you'll ever get someone that says they are better. Do they work and are they adequate, yes. Especially the .54 / .58

Personally for me...95% of what I've ever shot has been sabots. That said, I will be shooting .54 patched round balls from my Renegade. And its an open sight gun, which for me means under 75yds in all reality. Heck, most of my shots are under that with any weapon. I feel with the right load they will be very effective.

Better than my scoped .54 MK85 with Jacketed Speers? I don't believe so, but still certainly good enough to put game down cleanly and effectively.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
This is why I use round balls. A nice clean 140 yard shot with just a simple 80gr pyrodex rs charge to the lungs. 60 yard recovery.
MD54,

ANd what other projectile do you think might have done a worse job? This is what they call "anecdotal." Unless you have some comparative data, maybe your time would be better spent doing anything else.

OldBob
Old 12-31-2015, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unbelievable. I'm at a loss for words.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default No backstep, no insult

Please don't insult me with a back step. We all know what you meant, and you rag on the PRB every chance you get.

You don't know why anybody uses a PRB, because you never used one, and have no clue how they work.

I have never said you should use a PRB. Why do I have to explain to you why I use one? Before you say you didn't ask that.

This your quote:

"Please tell me again why anyone would ever choose a roundball."
Pete,

Of course I criticize the use of the RB. I can't think of any choice that is worse. But bronko volunteered that he had used the Great Plains in a different rifle, so obviously he thought it to be a decent choice. I told him why it was so much better than a PRB. I can't imagine anyone saying that a projectile with a similar if not identical alloy composition, of the same diameter, and twice the weight, would not be a superior choice. They certainly wouldn't work any worse than a roundball, even if the Great Plains didn't expand.

Another thing I don't understand is why you would take this personally. What I said was "anyone", not Pete, or Tom, Dick and Harry. What I posted related to ballistics, had nothing to do with conforming to some adopted personna. As a part of a personna, the PRB may fit in. From the standpoint of ballistics, its an inferior choice.

Do you honestly think that the GP would perform worse than the PRB? Reports on the GP are boringly uniform in their praise of its performance.

OldBob
Old 12-31-2015, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Bob, I don't think you'll ever get someone that says they are better. Do they work and are they adequate, yes. Especially the .54 / .58

Personally for me...95% of what I've ever shot has been sabots. That said, I will be shooting .54 patched round balls from my Renegade. And its an open sight gun, which for me means under 75yds in all reality. Heck, most of my shots are under that with any weapon. I feel with the right load they will be very effective.

Better than my scoped .54 MK85 with Jacketed Speers? I don't believe so, but still certainly good enough to put game down cleanly and effectively.
WV,

Let me be perfectly clear. I have never shot anything with a PRB, or a conical, or a sabot round. If I had, and told of my experience here, though, I would be just one more voice in a choir of thousands. Type in Blah Blah bullet reviews (any bullet) and you'll get thousands of hits, and if you read a few you'll get a pretty good idea what to expect. These are real life experiences. Combine this with info from loading manuals, and the picture becomes very clear. Sure, some of the choices have their fanboys, but they're easy to spot. What this means to me is that there are some choices that would serve anyone well, and some that are best avoided.

OldBob
Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

You pointed to anyone using a PRB. I happen to be one of them, so you did point it at me.

There will always be a better choice than what someone uses. So what? No matter how many dead animals you're shown that are killed with a PRB. All you can say it a conical would be a better choice. Dead is freaking dead!

We get it! You think a PRB is a poor choice. You don't have to keep telling us. In case it slipped your mind. This is the black powder forum. Lots of us use a PRB, and are very content for many reason with the choice. We don't need to be told we made a poor choice from someone who's never used them. It's become ridiculous.

Seriously. Who are you to tell us we made a bad choice?

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 12-31-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You pointed to anyone using a PRB. I happen to be one of them, so you did point it at me.

There will always be a better choice than what someone uses. So what? No matter how many dead animals you're shown that are killed with a PRB. All you can say it a conical would be a better choice. Dead is freaking dead!

We get it! You think a PRB is a poor choice. You don't have to keep telling us. In case it slipped your mind. This is the black powder forum. Lots of us use a PRB, and are very content for many reason with the choice. We don't need to be told we made a poor choice from someone who's never used them. It's become ridiculous.

Seriously. Who are you to tell us we made a bad choice?
Considering he has admittedly NEVER used them, I would say he has absolutely NO right whatsoever to be bashing them like he does. Are they a perfect bullet? Absolutely not. Are there many better choices? So many it is hard to count. Are they effective in the right hands? Absolutely!!

Too many people out there just read something and think they know. It's hilarious in a way. It's kinda like all those "child rearing" experts out there that don't have kids trying to tell you whats right and wrong! My way is wrong because I used a firm hand and spanked my kids yet all 5 are college graduates, never been arrested or even suspected in a crime, no drugs, all have jobs, and are well respected by their peers. But the so called "experts" with no real life experience in child rearing would tell you that my way would produce maladjusted psychopaths! Unless you have experience with a thing, you are NO expert nor should you in any way try to tell someone that their way is wrong unless you have experience with their way. Period. Plain and simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.