Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 12-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sad that you want to blame CVA instead of yourself. All your problems are very minor, and easily fixed.

CVA never advertised the gun as setup for BH 209. They do offer a BH 209 breech plug if it's YOUR choice to shoot that powder. You may be shocked to know that BH 209 is not the most popular powder used by muzzleloaders.

With a drill you could have gotten your stock BP to work with BH 209 just fine. If you would have bought the gun from Carlos he would have modified the stock BP to work with BH 209, and also set the headspace which will probably blow your mind to know you should do that too.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

sad why sad i should say that if you buy a new gun it should come with what you need to shoot the damn thing and i don't only want to shoot bh 209 i want to shoot loose powder of any kind i want. it never occurred to me that a gun would not come with everything you need to shoot any powder you want does that make sense to anyone ? it's not an accessory like a powder measure or capper it's part of the gun you need to have to shoot it ! you seem to be missing the point muley hunter !
Old 12-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, its probably because CVA promotes pellets and powerbelts. Demand from shooters is likely what prompted the BH209 plug. I do agree though, it wouldn't cost much to include a BP tool with each gun - whether you need it or not.

Knight and TC plugs work well with any type of powder, CVA you have to modify or purchase.

I don't own a CVA, but my thought is they are decent rifles for the money (especially the lower end models) and they typically shoot well. But imo I think that rather than being on the cheap and spending years trying to gimmick coatings and treatments, they should just use a quality stainless steel. And partnering up with a decent scope company would probably be a better idea, unless they own Konus which wouldn't surprise me. Who buys a Konus, unless it came on a CVA?

Ok, rant over. Sorry. I'll stick to my Knights.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'll be honest i had no idea or thought that i would have to check to see if you could shoot loose powder out of a mz rifle i have shot white rifles all my hunting life so the thought never entered my mind ! i didn't know a mz rifle company needs to advertise there gun shoots loose powder either that's the dumbest thing iv'e ever heard ! my whole point of starting this thread is that i bought a brand new rifle and even though i can probably shoot loose powder with the current bp i can't get the one i should be using is that sad ?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned

so have you shot blackhorn209 out of your white?

Also you are not getting it. The factory plug works just fine for loose powder, just not so much with blackhorn209 as its a different beast.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

no i haven't shot blackhorn out of my white and i never will i have my loads figured out. i wanted to buy this new cva especially for the blackhorn 209 and the federal game shok combination. the cva guy told me to expect some failure to ignite using the bp that came in the rifle so why would i want to use it ? and furthermore i shouldn't have to modify a new rifle when cva could have very easily just put both in there for me to have either option the bigger point here is me as the consumer "my money " my opinion on the money i spent if i had known that it would have been such a hassle i would have bought a knight rifle which i really wanted to do but being that i'm sending this gun back home to sit in my buddies gun safe until i go home to hunt i didn't want to have a knight rifle just sitting there. i hoped i explained my situation well enough for everybody understand but doesn't seem to be the case?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
i'll be honest i had no idea or thought that i would have to check to see if you could shoot loose powder out of a mz rifle i have shot white rifles all my hunting life so the thought never entered my mind ! i didn't know a mz rifle company needs to advertise there gun shoots loose powder either that's the dumbest thing iv'e ever heard ! my whole point of starting this thread is that i bought a brand new rifle and even though i can probably shoot loose powder with the current bp i can't get the one i should be using is that sad ?
As was said. You can shoot any loose powder, except BH 209. Which i'm not sure you know this, but BH 209 is basiacally a smokeless powder that been detuned to black powder power, and of course some smoke was added.

So, because it's basically a smokeless powder it's much harder to ignite than all the other powders made for muzzleloaders. That's why Western and CVA came out with special breech plugs to ignite it.

I'll say it again. If CVA included both breech plugs with the gun. The price would go up. The majority use pellets, and don't need the BH 209 breech plug. They would complain they're paying for a breech plug they don't need. Since the majority use pellets. The majority would be complaining.

Now if you were CVA. What would you do?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
no i haven't shot blackhorn out of my white and i never will i have my loads figured out. i wanted to buy this new cva especially for the blackhorn 209 and the federal game shok combination. the cva guy told me to expect some failure to ignite using the bp that came in the rifle so why would i want to use it ? and furthermore i shouldn't have to modify a new rifle when cva could have very easily just put both in there for me to have either option the bigger point here is me as the consumer "my money " my opinion on the money i spent if i had known that it would have been such a hassle i would have bought a knight rifle which i really wanted to do but being that i'm sending this gun back home to sit in my buddies gun safe until i go home to hunt i didn't want to have a knight rifle just sitting there. i hoped i explained my situation well enough for everybody understand but doesn't seem to be the case?
Well you better sell that white because it doesnt work with blackhorn.

Seriously, we give you info on how to install it and yet you've made no attempt to just DO IT?! Its simple! Maybe thats the problem, simple things are the hardest for some people to just accept.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Banned

Here, this is how simple it is. After that, Im done because something isn't getting through lol.
Attached Thumbnails cva breech plug-img_6368.jpg  
Old 12-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Well you better sell that white because it doesnt work with blackhorn.

Seriously, we give you info on how to install it and yet you've made no attempt to just DO IT?! Its simple! Maybe thats the problem, simple things are the hardest for some people to just accept.
simple to install what i have no bh 209 bp to install what installation are you referring to ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.