Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 01-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sabotloader
It is a sabot in Idaho and Oregon - they are not full bore conicals.

And you are sure they are legal in CO.
Of course its a conical. It does not fall free from the plastic. States clearly that its legal in CO.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
One thing i do understand is that cva or knight doesnt want someone modding their plugs ad its a safety hazard for both parties. Could you agree with this grouse? Do either companies support modding breech plugs or would they rather folks use factory built.

Do center fire companies support reloads under their warranty?
Knight rifles voids all warranties if you modify anything. If you gotta send it back, don't send with any modifications. I would think T/C and CVA are the same but don't know that
Old 01-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
It is a sabot in Idaho and Oregon - they are not full bore conicals.

And you are sure they are legal in CO.
Yes, it's even mentioned in the brochure under what's legal for muzzleloaders.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Of course its a conical. It does not fall free from the plastic. States clearly that its legal in CO.
Still not legal in Oregon or Idaho. No plastic at all except for Power Belts in Idaho because they are made in Nampa, ID. Not legal in OR.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bore Lock is a strange design. It's not a sabot, and not what we think of as a conical either.

It's..........well............it's a bore lock.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
anybody know why the cva manual say's not to shoot any bullets over 300 grs.?? sorry that's a accura v2
I can tell you this, if you do shoot larger bullets DONT TELL CVA's CS. They flat out told me if i used any type or amount of 3FG powder it would void the warranty. Two different reps told me this and they offered no reason why even though 3 pellets makes more peak pressure.

Thats kinda funny because Hodgdon does NOT recommend any 3 pellet load but they do have Triple7 3FG and Pyro P load data for 50cals.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-04-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's actually a hybrid. Unlike the power belt, when you ignite the powder charge, the "skirt" obturates around the lower part of the bullet becoming somewhat like a sabot. With a power belt, the skirt is stationary just forming a gas seal which allows the bullet itself to obturate to the rifling. That is why some states that allow connies only are having a problem with the Fed Bore Loks. And I think Colorado is actually having another look at them as well.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Well looks like I went to bed too early last night. There has been pages of posts and quite a few have been close to the edge of rules violations with from what I can see a member banned. I think it is a shame you guys with so much knowledge can't get along. I posted a general warning yesterday hoping it would slow up the flaming but can now see that is a total waste of time. I suggest everyone who wants to post review and follow the rules posted at the top of the main page. If someone is affiliated with one of the major ML manufacturers then keep that relationship out of the open boards to the extent of pushing their products. Opinions are welcome but agendas are not. In addition, I have seen a few posts with obvious reference to business dealings. I suggest all mention of those stay in the classified section as required by HNI rules or are conducted via PM's and out of the open forums. The members control the amount of moderation within the boards by the content of their posting. I suggest everyone think before pushing the post button.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
And I think Colorado is actually having another look at them as well.
I've heard nothing about this. Where did you get that info?
Old 01-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Friend of mine works in the testing dept. for Federal. It's nothing official which was why the "I think" but he did say there was some interest from Colorado yet again. Probably just the typical red tape from Gov. lackies trying to shoulder in where they don't belong. You know how that old game works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.