Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 01-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Pretty informative lets hope it stays that way and doesn't make a south turn. Play nice.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I personally used a shim setup on my TC but I did leave it a smidge of space JUST so I could use different primers. I get little to no blow by with the Fed 209's and absolutely 0 blow by with the Win's. It did have quite a bit of space originally and my primers looked like they were involved in a scorched Earth project . But like Pete said, you have to get the shims just right or you could experience a severe crush resulting in premature fire. Not a good thing. Ron's way, use of O-Rings is the simpler and safer method since with it you have very little, if any, risk of crush. Both work, just one is much more involved and time consuming than the other. If I hadn't already kitted my rig up (Bellum) I would probably use the O-Rings myself since primer manufacturers are getting looser with their sizing control.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Okay, I personally used a shim setup on my TC but I did leave it a smidge of space JUST so I could use different primers. I get little to no blow by with the Fed 209's and absolutely 0 blow by with the Win's. It did have quite a bit of space originally and my primers looked like they were involved in a scorched Earth project . But like Pete said, you have to get the shims just right or you could experience a severe crush resulting in premature fire. Not a good thing. Ron's way, use of O-Rings is the simpler and safer method since with it you have very little, if any, risk of crush. Both work, just one is much more involved and time consuming than the other. If I hadn't already kitted my rig up (Bellum) I would probably use the O-Rings myself since primer manufacturers are getting looser with their sizing control.
I can't stand o rings myself. The safe way to me is buy a brick of 1000 primers and set your crush accordingly. I hate aggravation and o rings are. But o rings are safer for those not experienced in the crush method.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a reason for not liking the o-ring. It makes the primer pocket shorter, and the primer can fall out easier.

I know it's a minor thingy, but i'm picky.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

that is true about them falling out. Lord knows my frames are scared up from that happening but after 10 shots or so they shrink down enough to help that issue.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

does anybody have any pic's of the shimming method or parts or even a pic of where he shims go ? i will also look into it further tomorrow on you tube if there is anything on it ? thanks !!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jon is the post above yours. That's who I meant when I said he has a video on how to do it.

He'll respond to this.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I can't stand o rings myself. The safe way to me is buy a brick of 1000 primers and set your crush accordingly. I hate aggravation and o rings are. But o rings are safer for those not experienced in the crush method.
Well, i understand completely why a Knight bolt action shooter would not care for o-ring. However, other types of rifles don't 'crush' primers as nicely as the bolt. The camming effect of the bolt is smooth, and reliable when it comes to providing the optimal 'crush'.

Muley has mentioned he doesn't like the feel of his CVA rifle closing when it has to 'crush' the primer to get fully closed. This i can understand. The 'crush' one gets with the CVA doesn't seem, to me, to be consistent, and it doesn't come easily. Normally the rifle cannot be just closed, it has to be snapped shut with some authority.

Me, i believe that the o-ring works much better stopping blow by in the CVA, than trying to stop the blow by, by putting 'crush' on the primer. The nice thing too, is one doesn't have to do anything to a new rifle, just insert the o-ring, and one is normally good to go.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, i understand completely why a Knight bolt action shooter would not care for o-ring. However, other types of rifles don't 'crush' primers as nicely as the bolt. The camming effect of the bolt is smooth, and reliable when it comes to providing the optimal 'crush'.

Muley has mentioned he doesn't like the feel of his CVA rifle closing when it has to 'crush' the primer to get fully closed. This i can understand. The 'crush' one gets with the CVA doesn't seem, to me, to be consistent, and it doesn't come easily. Normally the rifle cannot be just closed, it has to be snapped shut with some authority.

Me, i believe that the o-ring works much better stopping blow by in the CVA, than trying to stop the blow by, by putting 'crush' on the primer. The nice thing too, is one doesn't have to do anything to a new rifle, just insert the o-ring, and one is normally good to go.
Your right Ron, my opinion is only based on bolt guns. But bare primer Knight Visions, T/C Encores and Triumphs are clean right out of the box. So no need to shim those, atleast none of mine anyway.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, with a CVA you get to work on your gun more. That gives you a more intimate feeling for it. Which make it "Just a better gun"

It all part of a master plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.