Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva breech plug

Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Crush is required, if there is to be zero blow by.
I'll accept .01 % blowby to have a smooth action, and prevent crushing a primer.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing wrong with a little crush. However for one that feels as you do, it is very simple to use an o-ring, and achieve zero blow by, with zero primer crush.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

You missed the part that I want the action to close easily.

Just so you know. I know of two cases of a gun going off when closing the action on a CVA. One was Jon when he changed primers, and wasn't aware, or forgot it was longer than the headspace was setup for. Bang!

Another one was a member on Jon's forum who said he didn't change primers. He brought it up in the thread Jon talked about his going off. I forget who it was now.

My method doesn't crush the primer, and if there's some blowby it isn't noticeable. The primers are clean after being shot, and so is the face of the receiver.

The best part is I don't worry about the gun going off every time I close the action with a primer installed.

Crush the primer, and it may only fire once in a million times, or maybe never. That's once too often when you consider the consequences.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Banned

I didnt forget, i knew and was being lazy and didnt want to go back for the cci's.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, but imagine some noob doing it, because they didn't know?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned

Thats why my videos warns them in big ol red letters and then i go on to explain why. Maybe a video of it going off, closing it because "they" didn't pay attention would get their attention. 20gr shockeys gold and a sabot on top of the powder.

And dont suggest muzzlestuffer to do it because that IS a hazard when it comes to adjusting things without knowing what the whole point is
Old 01-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

You assume everybody watches your videos.

All some will see is to get rid of blowby I shim the FP housing until I crush the primer. Slamming the action is ok. The hammer won't pull back? Slam the action harder.

I've seen this advice over and over.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

They only get advertised on my site Pete.

Like usual, you are blowing hot air on this and making up stuff as it drags out.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bull! What did I make up?
Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Banned

im not getting into this pete. You did this over on my place as well and it went no where.

3 days into the new year. Boy does the future on the forums look.... Bright

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.