Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7,Pyro,or Clean Shot ?

Old 10-17-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Triple 7,Pyro,or Clean Shot ?

I found a good supply of Clean Shot Pellet' s,and was wondering if anyone uses this,and what you think of it? Undecided as to which powder to use.Which is your favorite? Many Thank' s!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Triple 7,Pyro,or Clean Shot ?

I have shot clean shot in a number of my rifles and had great groups with it. I heard from one fellow that Clean Shot likes to draw moisture although I have never had that happen to me.

I also shoot Pyrodex Select and have used it for many years. It works great. There is not much more to say about it. I just recently tried Triple Se7en in my new CVA Mountain Stalker and have shot some very impressive groups with it. In fact I think I will give the new rifle a chance to earn its wings this rifle season.

One last opinion is, I would not use the pellets. Get yourself a powder measure and some loose powder. You can (In my opinion) fine tune your rifle much better. For instance I have one rifle that likes 85 grains of T-7. It would be kind of hard to do that with pellets. Also just because the rifle will shoot loads up to 150 grains, that does not mean that will be the most accurate load in the rifle. Some of them like 100 grains, some more or less. The best thing to do is use loose powder and move in 5 grain settings in the measure until you shoot your tightest group.

Be sure to swab between shots, and have a lot of fun....
Old 10-17-2003, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Accuracy, velocity & energy are the top three quests in modern muzzleloading. Triple Se7en loose is the best out there followed by Swiss Black Powder when shooting inlines. Other brands like Goex, Pyrodex... etc perform well in sidelocks that don' t need that extra kick upon ignition, but they all seem to be a step behind when using a sabot/bullet/shallow rifling combination. Quality usually comes with a price... even when shopping for blackpowder/substitutes. That' s why Swiss & 777 are the most expensive commonly found powders.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:22 PM

Triple Se7en was the same price as all the others at the shop I went to. I used clean shot before and so I bought the APP sticks. 19.99 for which ever you wanted. I guess I should try some Triple Se7en , but running low in cash after buying scope, mounts and base.