Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FIRST BUCK

Old 10-17-2003, 09:48 AM

Default FIRST BUCK

well this morning was the best morning of my hunting life. i got into the woods with time to spare. i sat there for about a hour nothing, then i see a doe and a small buck about 100 yrds. they walk away to my right and i thought the morning was over. but then i hear all these turkeys make all this noise, then i see the two deer come back from the right, they disappear from me infront of me down over the hill. i hear a grunt and then some fighting between bucks. i see two smaller bucks and a doe leave to my left. so i start to grunt to make them come back. all of a sudden a deer is coming up the hill behind a tree. i move my gun when the deer' s head is behind the tree. when he comes out i see that it is a small spike. being the first deer withing shooting range i decide to shoot. i dropped him in his tracks. i was shaking like crazy after the smoke cleared. i called my friend to tell him to have his dad come out and help with cleaning and ***. then i called my sister telling her the good news. i was so pumped. i have been waiting to see a buck this whole week. its only a spike but it is a buck. thanks guys for all ur help.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: FIRST BUCK

Congradulations of your buck. Way to go!! As far as it being only a spike? Let me tell you, they taste a whole lot better then a big old swamp buck. And as much as I' ve tried cooking the horns different ways, they never were worth eating..

Nice job. Taking a deer with a smokepole is a lot different then a center fire. You get one chance, and then there is always that chance that the thing will not go off.