Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off topic------chipmunk problems?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:20 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have lots of reds, grays, black squirrels, and occasional chipmunks and Fox squirrels. Dogs like chasing them and as long as they stay off my bird feeders all is good. But then one gets past my squirrel proof ideas and the ole Gamo takes that critter out of the gene pool.
I can't do that while the grand kids are there as I might kill "Hammie!"

But I bet it will change soon when I hand the Gamo to them and tell them go for it! They sure do like "Shooting Paper" as they call it or the Ole Cow bells all over the place as well as that self nealing orange ball with the 22s. But the 22s are hard to find again as of late. So the Gamo it will be.

I have people who love to squirrel hunt and limit almost every time out by me on Blacks, Grays and Fox squirrels.....

JW

Ps I was saving the pelts but then I figured it take me to long to make a coat for the Mrs.!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ps I was saving the pelts but then I figured it take me to long to make a coat for the Mrs.!
Maybe enough for a bikini?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semi and JW, where's a good raptor at when you need one? We had a juvenile hawk here for awhile that was stirring up all kinds of mayhem for the local birds and squirrels. Haven't seen it around lately, though, so the animals in the hood are getting back to their normal routine.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Saw a Red-tailed hawk chase a gray squirrel all over a live oak tree in my neighbor's yard a few day ago. Got him too.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Spike

biscuits and squirrel gravy purty good stuff .
Old 08-11-2015, 04:20 AM
Dominant Buck

the neighbor lady when I was a kid used to make a squirrel brown gravy with stuff, with vegetables. She'd put that over rice. I can still remember that. The reason I found out is, I shot four nice big gray squirrels and brought them home, "cleaned" for mother to cook. She took one look at them, said they looked like rats and ordered me to get rid of them. So I took them to the neighbor lady. She was thrilled and invited me to dinner. Man was that good!!

These pine squirrels or red squirrels as we call them are little wire eaters. They get in your buildings and just tear insulation out of walls for nests, eat wires, just make a mess.