Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

40x215 CF Ballistic Information

Old 07-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default 40x215 CF Ballistic Information

After talking to a couple of people that are much more knowing than I am about Ballistic Information, they felt that I should post a corrected Barnes Ballistic sheet information that reflected the actual velocities recorded in the test. They suggested that it should further be qualified that this information was gathered at about 700 ft. above sea level. Also the load was 120 grains of BH-209. Rifle being shot was a Knight 45 cal. Super DISC.

Recorded velocities: shot #1 at the muzzle: 2086 #2 2097 #3 2089; the second chrono @ 100 yards recorded #1 1870 #2 1883 #3 1870

So the average MZ velocity was 2090 fps and the average at 100 yards was 1874 fps. This all works out to the BC for this bullet being 0.330

This information was pushed into the Barnes Calculator and this sheet was produced.

Also for the long range people SShooter requested a sheet with 'extended ranges' be made.

Then lastly I printed a ballistic sheet for a lead conical. This is the conical I use here in Idaho during our ML elk season. You will see that I am shooting 90 grains if T7-3f in a GM-LRH stainless barrel in a Renegade.

This information was posted just for information and comparison.

Last edited by sabotloader; 07-13-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:35 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
After talking to a couple of people that are much more knowing than I am about Ballistic Information, they felt that I should post a corrected Barnes Ballistic sheet information that reflected the actual velocities recorded in the test. They suggested that it should further be qualified that this information was gathered at about 700 ft. above sea level. Also the load was 120 grains of BH-209. Rifle being shot was a Knight 45 cal. Super DISC.

Recorded velocities: shot #1 at the muzzle: 2086 #2 2097 #3 2089; the second chrono @ 100 yards recorded #1 1870 #2 1883 #3 1870

So the average MZ velocity was 2090 fps and the average at 100 yards was 1874 fps.

This information was pushed into the Barnes Calculator and this sheet was produced.

Also for the long range people SShooter requested a sheet with 'extended ranges' be made.

Then lastly I printed a ballistic sheet for a lead conical. This is the conical I use here in Idaho during our ML elk season. You will see that I am shooting 90 grains if T7-3f in a GM-LRH stainless barrel in a Renegade.

This information was posted just for information and comparison.
Very good info indeed thanks for all the effort involved to provide this info for us . Much appreciated

Old 07-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's an amazing BC for a muzzleloader.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
That's an amazing BC for a muzzleloader.
The amazing part to me is the bullet flight statistic and energy numbers
Old 07-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

uhhh question, how are you/they figuring a BC without a bullet type factored into the program? Don't you need to factor in olgive calibers/sizes as well as bullet "type" such as hollowpoint, spitster, flat base, boattail, and so on? Are you just using a velocity calculator to come up with that number? If so, that aint BC. That's a drop calculator which can get you in the ball park of BC but not a positive BC number.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
uhhh question, how are you/they figuring a BC without a bullet type factored into the program? Don't you need to factor in olgive calibers/sizes as well as bullet "type" such as hollowpoint, spitster, flat base, boattail, and so on? Are you just using a velocity calculator to come up with that number? If so, that aint BC. That's a drop calculator which can get you in the ball park of BC but not a positive BC number.
I entered the information into the JBM - Ballistic Coefficient Calulator. It computed a BC of 0.337 but the velocity numbers would not match up as close as an adjusted 0.330 does or did.