Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White barrel

Old 07-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default White barrel

Well boy's and girls. I got a reply from White the other day and I have a dilemma. Here is the question I sent off to Doc:

On 7/7/2015 2:35 PM, l c wrote:
I am interested in a White made barrel 26-28 inches in .50 caliber with either a 1:24 or 1:20 twist rate. I currently own a Pro Hunter barrel in 1:28 twist but would like to get one with a faster twist to stabilize longer heavier bullets. Something in the 450 grain range but without having to heat the charge up to extreme levels to speed the bullet twist rate. My current barrel is very accurate with 260 to 350 grain bullets but it really shines with hot loads. As I get older, those "hot loads" are just getting to demanding on my shoulder to enjoy a nice day at the range. Everyone I have spoken to absolutely raves about their White rifles. But the one thing that stands out to me the most is that you are probably the ONE maker that actually standardizes bore size. From what I have been told, I got lucky with my current barrel as it is fairly easy to set up bullet/sabot combinations that fit pretty well. My TC platform fits me perfectly which is why I am only interested in a barrel. That and the bolt action type inlines are a pain in the butt to load for me. I have very large hands and fingers and I hate having to use a tool to load a cap. It would be just my luck that it would get left on the bench when I needed it the most!
And here be the response
I have both 451 with 1/20 twist and and 504 (1/24 twist) caliber stainless barrels turned for the M98 which was a heavy barreled variant of the Super 91, $225 plus $15 S&H. Brand new old stock DOC
Dilemma= I am still going to have to get either barrel fitted up with the hinging bracket and stuff but I am just not sure I want JUST ONE!!!!! I am starting to think I might just want BOTH!!! Doc White barrels in both .45 AND .50 caliber mated to my TC Pro hunter system sheesh am I being greedy or stupid? I could probably bust out some serious playtime with that .45 fast twister and that .50 semi fast twister is tha bees knees! What say you all?
Old 07-12-2015, 04:26 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well boy's and girls. I got a reply from White the other day and I have a dilemma. Here is the question I sent off to Doc:

And here be the response

Dilemma= I am still going to have to get either barrel fitted up with the hinging bracket and stuff but I am just not sure I want JUST ONE!!!!! I am starting to think I might just want BOTH!!! Doc White barrels in both .45 AND .50 caliber mated to my TC Pro hunter system sheesh am I being greedy or stupid? I could probably bust out some serious playtime with that .45 fast twister and that .50 semi fast twister is tha bees knees! What say you all?
Go for it , or just pick up a couple whites and forget having to make them into prohunter interchangeable barrels.
Get a super 91 in .451 and .504 or a white tail hunter or U-mag in .504 .

Old 07-12-2015, 04:28 PM
1874sharpsshooter

The more i think about it the more i think you should get the barrels mated to your tc platform and get a .451 and .504 White . Do both

Old 07-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

I would go with the .451. But as you can see I'm partial to the 45 cal.

The 45 will handle everything unless you want to go for big bears.

Ed
Old 07-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a problem with bolt style ML systems SS. I just can't get my fat ass fingers to get in there to load the damn things. I just don't like them. Not to mention my PH system fits me like a glove. Out of the MANY rifles I own, that system fits me the absolute best. I can shoot it right or left handed (right a little better but not by much) but it just comes to shoulder amazingly well for me. Plus I can load the damn thing without a freaking tool! (For any readers not familiar with muzzleloaders, by loading I mean putting the cap in)

But all in all, I really have wanted a .45 barrel for a bit now but from what I have seen on several ML boards here lately I really don't want to go with a TC made barrel that I will have to hand lap or JB to death before I could even dream about ranging it well. Like I've said before, I think I got really lucky with all 7 of the barrels I got with this PH platform. They all shoot incredibly well but from what I have heard, since S&W took the company over, quality has went to hell. I got this system about 8 months after it came out.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get the 45 for sure. I'm not a 1/24 fan at all with sabots
Old 07-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know Green Mountain sells 50cal 1-24 cut rifled barrel blanks for about the same price as that White 504. http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/bx5024-...5-round-blank/

They sell a 45cal 1-18 cut rifled too.

IIRC a T/C Encore/ProHunter platform requires several inches of barrel to be .990 OD along the frame.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-13-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ill have to get out my calipers and see but I think that's correct GM.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just checked, the Encore barrel is .990 around the scope base holes and frame. You may want to check if that White barrel has enough meat in that area.

The GM barrel blanks have plenty left to contour anyway you like or need.

You really should consider the Begara Full Contour 45/70 for a 1-20 45cal. Its about the same price ($219 or less) and already has the hanger. Another $150 for plug work and you have a fast twist 45. Slufoot even recrowns it for muzzleloading. Usually takes less than 2 weeks. These builds will even shoot a 200gr SST over 2500fps with ease if you want to quit "smoking".

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-13-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sent off another Email to find out the size in that area. Thanks for the heads up there GM. I didn't think about that. One thing about a Bergara barrel Gm is I would have to use their plug which I heard sucks wind. And why would a get a .45 barrel for a 45/70 from Bergara that I would have to work on when they have 28 inch .45 barrel's for ML's for TC's drop in ready?
The Green Mountain option is certainly a good thought. I have one in my Hawken (lovingly called "the mutt") and it's always been a good shooter with lighter powder loads. But she sure balks hard at higher charges! 90gr's of T7p is about her limit then she starts to pattern like a damn shottie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.