Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White barrel

Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks GM, I'll do just that. I doubt I'd go smokeless with that rig. I'd stick to BH (which is dang near smokeless power) More than likely just go with reg vent liners. (Domed Lehigh) and probably use an O-Ring and polish up the nipple for easier cap removal but still keeping a good seal.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Slufoot shims the plug with a bushing or SS washer for a good primer fit.

Busta had one built on a H&R 45/70 which he now calls the Super Smoker. No worries, BH209 performs quite well with a Savage breach plug. Mine is fine with either a Win209 or a Fed209A. I use the mag primers with this plug and BH209 just for a piece of mind and they fit well too.

Google "Busta Super Smoker" for the link. HNI gets crabby about posting links to other forums.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-15-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the mag primers with this plug and BH209 just for a piece of mind and they fit well too.
You don't have bullet starting problems with the mag primers? I tried using them a few times and had horrible groups with them. I reasoned out that the mag primers were literally starting the bullet before the powder got up to pressure. I tested the theory by loading a bullet without powder and firing a primer. Moved the bullet damn near an inch! And it was a fairly tight fit as well.

Slufoot shims the plug with a bushing or SS washer for a good primer fit.
That's good to know.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive used both CCI and CCI mag primers in my ULA. Both worked fine because they both fit the same.

Personally, i dont believe a mag primer is any worse than a standard strength primer as far as groups are concerned. Use whichever works and fits best in your breach plug. A longer plug may benefit from a hotter primer. Plugs like the ULA, Omega and Lehigh/Knight plugs simply dont need them.

When i use smokeless in my Savage Pacnor 45, i use Win209s for the faster powders and Fed209As for the slower powders. If the mag primer was causing a problem, it would show up more commonly with a slower powder. Most single based slower powders tend to be harder to ignite.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 PM
1874sharpsshooter

look at just a sampling of bullets in the thread "food for 1:20" Then think through the advantages of a fast twist before jumping into a 1:28 You might be surprised at the opportunities

Old 07-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also assuming I will have to fashion something for my ramrod or does he do that as well? One of my forearms SHOULD fit fine since it's a Bergara for a TC pro hunter anyway. I accurised the frame years ago and have 4 or 5 different hinge pins. Also had that trigger re-worked to bring it to 3 pounds. Heavier hammer spring as well. Seems like a lot of work to get this system shooting extremely well but it really wasn't.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe you need to use the ML forend and follow these directions. You can also ask Slufoot when you call him. He has done a ton of these conversions.

http://www.hausofarms.com/Forend-Sol...rels_b_62.html

BTW Haus of Arms also has the T/C 45/70 24" barrel in stock for $290. The Bergara full contour is $220 from them but ive seen it cheaper.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I'm looking around. Might have to wait till next year around tax time to do it. Wife giving me the old "stink eye" ya know Funny when it comes time to get her a new toy I don't get stink eye then aint it!