Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Carpet, shelving, Bullets

Old 07-12-2015, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

super_hunt54
I wonder if the air in the hollow point would not be compressed to a liquid and add considerable to the explosive effect?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
super_hunt54
I wonder if the air in the hollow point would not be compressed to a liquid and add considerable to the explosive effect?
Lee,
The new bullets have slots where the air can get out. Plus, if it was possible the petals would shear in flight right???
Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do the petals stay on the Lehigh if the test has no liquid?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Do the petals stay on the Lehigh if the test has no liquid?
Ding Ding Ding and folks we have a winning question!! Same one entered my smoking brain last night! Say I went for my favorite High shoulder shot (with firearm)? Not a very liquid environment there if I went high just going for spine. Just dense muscle tissue and bone. Now granted an animals body isn't like a bag of blood but the organs and arteries provide a pretty liquid source for hydraulic operation but a shot like a high shoulder wouldn't provide very much liquid. Not if I went about 2 inches higher than normal anyway.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ding Ding Ding and folks we have a winning question!! Same one entered my smoking brain last night! Say I went for my favorite High shoulder shot (with firearm)? Not a very liquid environment there if I went high just going for spine. Just dense muscle tissue and bone. Now granted an animals body isn't like a bag of blood but the organs and arteries provide a pretty liquid source for hydraulic operation but a shot like a high shoulder wouldn't provide very much liquid. Not if I went about 2 inches higher than normal anyway.
Im almost positive the bullet then works like a conventional mushrooming bullet. The petals open but don't shear. I'll find out for sure. It's been so long now I forget!!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:24 AM
1874sharpsshooter

per the Lehigh site

Lehigh originated Controlled Fracturing Technology. These bullets are designed to deliver maximum terminal performance. Controlled Fracturing bullets are produced from either solid copper or solid brass and are pre-stressed at specific points so that after a predetermined penetration depth, the razor-edge petals deploy, releasing an energy spike and then separate and radiate outward from the primary path of the bullet. The bullet shank, now back to bore diameter, continues penetrating straight and deep along the initial impact path.

Unlike traditional expanding bullets which mushroom and dramatically limit the bullet's penetration and provide only one wound path, Lehigh's Controlled Fracturing ammunition creates an initial energy transfer, multiple wound paths, and a deep penetrating base – a far more effective bullet.

In hunting applications, this unique terminal performance provides multiple projectiles which will penetrate vital organs and blood vessels, increasing the amount of tissue damage and leading to more blood loss. In addition to the damage these petals inflict, the main shank or base of the bullet is designed to penetrate the off side hide creating a better blood trail should you need it.

Our Controlled Fracturing bullet offers another distinct advantage. Since you are getting multiple projectiles radiating out, away and forward from the primary bullet path inside the animal, the Controlled Fracturing bullet compensates for small point of aim - point of impact errors. Imagine that buck fever causes you to pull your shot so that it strikes two inches from the heart or lungs. With the Controlled Fracturing bullet, it will be almost impossible for one of the petals to not penetrate these organs.

In personal defense applications, Controlled Fracturing technology is the most effective way to neutralize a threat. In an extreme high stress situation, where shot placement is likely not going to be perfect, this technology provides multiple wound channels coupled with a large energy transfer and a deep penetrating base, meeting all of the requirements for stopping a threat instantly.

A minimum of four separate wound channels resulting in extensive damage

CNC machined from solid copper or brass, not formed or swaged

Exceptional accuracy from the advanced manufacturing process

Razor sharp petals for maximum terminal performance

Deep penetrating base projectile

Expansion is initiated by hydraulic energy – expansion only where it is required

Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 AM
1874sharpsshooter

a video with more info.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Too bad we can't do the ultimate test. Two animals shot under the same conditions. One with Lehigh, and one with a Barnes.

All the other test are just what we think it means compared to shooting game.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shot a nice smaller antlered buck high through the neck and out just under the spine the bullet exited the side over the shoulder with a nice neat hole. I am sure the petals were off. At least one of the petals pierced the spinal cord the cow dropped like a rock. And the wound bled out as the heart actually kept pumping for awhile (really not a good story but it happened.

There is not a lot of liquid up there but enough...

Here is another example of a deer shot high with a Lehigh Bloodline. Got the spinal cord again with a petal. I really did feel bad for this buck. I shot him out of frustration while hunting elk - he was a target of opportunity - but shot at 60 yards with a Lehigh .458x305 gr. 45-70 rifle bullet in a MMP Orange sabot.

Also and Tom should have remembered, he has shot sandwich zip lock bags with water in them and a paper target behind the bag - the bullet and the petals exited the bag with the bullet in the center and the petals radiating out from the bullet hole in the paper target.

Last edited by sabotloader; 07-12-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Too bad we can't do the ultimate test. Two animals shot under the same conditions. One with Lehigh, and one with a Barnes.

All the other test are just what we think it means compared to shooting game.
I've shot hundreds of Deer with Barnes bullets. 195 Barnes, both 250 and 300grn MZ Expanders, 300grn Barnes originals in the Savage, 275grn XPB's, none of those Barnes are even close on killing Deer size game. Never shot any large game with Barnes. The only bullets that perform close to Lehigh's that I have used are the 275grn PArker ballistic Extremes, and 40cal 260 DeadCenters. But to be honest, they are pretty distant as well. I guess 5 years later or so people are starting to understand the process and more reports I'm sure will start showing up on the boards!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.