Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting an anomoly

Old 07-10-2015, 06:29 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default Shooting an anomoly

I wanted to go back out with the 1:30 and the 215 gr Lehigh again even though I think the matter has been concluded . General consensus is the 1:30 is to slow of a twist. Not by much in my book though. I think it's borderline.
anyway I took the Knight Disc 1:30
215 gr Lehigh bullets
100 gr Blackhorn powder
federal primer in red plastic jacket
omega 3x9 250 bdc scope

I shot at 100 yards just to confirm. first shot on cold clean barrel was good. Center and barely high.
next two shots were to the left but touching. I did not adjust windage. I decided to shoot it as is and just hold for wind.

The wind was blowing more than I prefer for long range anyway but I really wanted to do this. here is the target \

Somehow just shooting targets and shooting at deer are two totally different things. I wanted to see if this combination was accurate enough for hunting ,even if the bullet had some yaw to it. I will probably never use this gun and bullet for hunting but I wanted to know.
So I decided to shoot a deer!!

The wind was my nemesis but other than that I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with this gun with the 215. and the Yaw didn't appear to show up til over 200 yards and I never hunt with just a 100 gr of powder so it's possible I wouldn't have it at all.

I did overshoot at 200 yards . the bullet had much less drop than I compensated for . here's the deer. You can draw your own conclusions

Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

You'd best start skinning that deer.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

SShooter

It just bugs the heck out of me that the bullet can be so accurate in a slow twist yet still have that little bit of yaw/lean. As I look at your paper punched holes - I believe/think I am seeing the same thing that I experienced.

Grouse then posed an interesting question. As disappointed as I was yesterday with the shooting at 180 yds, in the conversation I mentioned even though they are not perfect round holes all would hit the animal in the vital area. To which Grouse asked "but would the bullet have worked?" For me that was a sort of a tuff question - I firmly believe the animal would have succumbed to any of the shots. But would it have been an ethical shot in that would the bullet had the immediate impact that a normal Lehigh does, or would the impact with the animals hide cause the bullet to truly tumble. I can not answer those questions in my mind. So for myself the right thing for me to do is to shoot the bullet from a fast twist 45 so I know that is working correctly.

The plan for me right now is to hope this really unusual heat in my area breaks and I will head back out to the Garbanzo patch and shoot the 1-20. I really would/need to check the impact the bullet makes on paper from a 1-20.

When you look at Grouses targets in this thread:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...h-defense.html

The 200 yard holes really appear to be what you might be striving for. Although one of the holes @ 100 looks a little odd.

Hoping to get some shooting in tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think damage would be severe whether the bullet either fragmented as designed or started tumbling on impact. It would likely exit in either case. The worst case would be if it punched through without either fragmenting or tumbling. That is probably unlikely. My guess would be that it would perform as designed so long as the yaw is not severe. It might even fragment and tumble.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

None of those holes look good to me. I think with the bullet not flying properly the bullet would not work like its supposed to. Obviously just my opinion.

On another note, the 185 is a great bullet and arguably could do anything the 215 could at least up to 200 yards. The 215 im sure has a better BC and could shoot more accurate at long ranges with the right ML.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chet,
After looking at the Deer target again, im amazed your still getting that kind of accuracy with the bullet flying that way. Have you tried 130grns by volume of BH209? I'm sure you would hunt with at least that in a Knight at long range anyway???

Last edited by Grouse45; 07-10-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's two holes at 200 yards with a 1/20 twist ML and the 215grn bullet.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:21 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Chet,
After looking at the Deer target again, im amazed your still getting that kind of accuracy with the bullet flying that way. Have you tried 130grns by volume of BH209? I'm sure you would hunt with at least that in a Knight at long range anyway???
120 to 130 is what I hunt with but i figure for most people 100 gr is a more common load , so i have been using 100 gr for the testing

Old 07-10-2015, 07:25 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Chet,
After looking at the Deer target again, im amazed your still getting that kind of accuracy with the bullet flying that way. ?
You got to hold your mouth just right

Old 07-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
You got to hold your mouth just right
LOL, Ill work on that!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.