Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Open sights range?

Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've decided to go ahead, and get the Triumph Bone Collector It's a light gun at 6.5lbs without a scope. Easy to carry, and shoulder. My hopes are the Sims recoil pad, and flex-tech stock will tame the recoil enough for me.
Pete, If I remember correctly, that bone collector has basically the same Limbsaver tech that my Pro Hunter stock does. If that's correct, you will have a VERY pleasant shooting experience. Mine tames the hell out of the hot loads in my muzzleloader barrel. It even calms the 12 gauge slugger somewhat. (Don't expect miracles, aint nothing calms a damn 12slug a whole lot) It even makes range time with the .300 Win mag tolerable. Not pleasant but tolerable. I've actually heard a lot of good comments about the Bone collector. I have a flintlock and my inline so no need for another ML'er or Id be looking to snag one up myself.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see the kill zone separate from the animal, and aim for the middle of it.

I can't see the hair on my hand. Let alone an animal 70 yds away.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I think I have taken care of my problem with this set up which is as close to period correct and an abomination (didn't mean to get political):

The scope actually comes in two variations, 3x or 6x. I have the 3x and this helps me a lot. But I must say that the woods here in Virginia are fairly thick and a 75 yd shot is about the longest on average. But when it comes to my game shot, I want a clean kill as much as possible.