Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1:20 Disc & 200 XTPs

Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default 1:20 Disc & 200 XTPs

I had an opportunity to get a little shooting in prior to the KS heat setting in. We had a big TStorm push through this morning and I hit hit the range soon after it cleared. I picked up this 1:20 Disc this spring and have only tried shooting big lead to date. Today I went with 90 BH209, 200 XTP and a Blue Smooth Harvester. The distance was 75 yards and I shot a 5 shot group to honor Semi.

The Gun:

Range Report:

The very first shot was low and I did not consider it part of the group. I've come to the conclusion that I will be shooting a fouling shot when using BH209. All of my attempts to avoid it have failed. Not a big deal for me.

About a 1" group at 75 yards. Not too shaby. Also, with 4 shims, the breech is spotless. Clean up was a 10 minute event. Love it.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing wrong with that Josmund. Good shooting!

That first shot booger seems to be the norm with Blackhorn. I keep wondering if the first shot would hit in the same place every time. One day when one of you guys has the time and inclination, I'd love to see a "five-first-shot" group, with the barrel being fully cleaned and cooled between each shot.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:49 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Josmund
I had an opportunity to get a little shooting in prior to the KS heat setting in. We had a big TStorm push through this morning and I hit hit the range soon after it cleared. I picked up this 1:20 Disc this spring and have only tried shooting big lead to date. Today I went with 90 BH209, 200 XTP and a Blue Smooth Harvester. The distance was 75 yards and I shot a 5 shot group to honor Semi.

The Gun:

Range Report:

The very first shot was low and I did not consider it part of the group. I've come to the conclusion that I will be shooting a fouling shot when using BH209. All of my attempts to avoid it have failed. Not a big deal for me.

About a 1" group at 75 yards. Not too shaby. Also, with 4 shims, the breech is spotless. Clean up was a 10 minute event. Love it.
Very good shooting . One of my favorite guns . Looks like a keeper to me

Old 06-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting Jeff!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:17 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I would try another 20 grains of powder . I bet it would tighten up even more , even though thats a good group i bet you can get better . My 1:20 likes 120 gr blackhorn

Old 06-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Nothing wrong with that Josmund. Good shooting!

That first shot booger seems to be the norm with Blackhorn. I keep wondering if the first shot would hit in the same place every time. One day when one of you guys has the time and inclination, I'd love to see a "five-first-shot" group, with the barrel being fully cleaned and cooled between each shot.
Semi, that sounds like a job for this wheel chair bound gimp! Not scheduled for surgery for another 3 weeks so I'm going a bit insane around here. Wife's ready to perform surgery on another part of my anatomy! May just take the Pro Hunter out and do what you asked. What would you say, 10 minutes between shots and cleaning? It's still fairly cool around here. well under 80. Make the wife useful and drive my gimpy butt around! And be my target retriever!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

10 minutes between shots and cleaning?
I have a hard time working with minutes and stuff like that Super Hunt. I would call it a "one beer wait". :

(Yeah, I would think ten minutes would do it.)
Old 06-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL I quit drinking a while back, but when I DID drink a beer sure wouldn't last me 10 minutes (could be that was the problem eh)
Old 06-06-2015, 07:32 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Semisane
I have a hard time working with minutes and stuff like that Super Hunt. I would call it a "one beer wait". :

(Yeah, I would think ten minutes would do it.)
Beer ???? I thought you were a scotch man . gee , learn something new everyday

Old 06-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Scotch is for after the sun goes down.

I do enjoy a cold beer now and then. Especially when sitting on the deck of my little hooch at the hunting lease to clean a gun after a range session. HEY! Maybe that's why I never understood why some guys bitch about "dirty black powder". They're not following the correct cleaning procedure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.