Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What are these scratches on my bore?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default What are these scratches on my bore?

Ok, I have got a cva optima and shot it 13 times , and have noticed that there are circular scratches going all the way down the riflings and I don't know what it is! Do I have to break in my gun? Did I scratch it while cleaning? I just need some help! Anything helps!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's possible that they're a minute trace of machining marks left behind after the bore was drilled and finished but before the rifling was cut. Are you using the proper size jag to push patches through? I doubt if it's something you've done but you could always run 50-100 strokes through the bore with a snug patch and some JB Bore Paste, then clean it and see how it looks. If your not having a problem with accuracy I wouldn't worry about it.

BPS
Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tool marks, quality problem.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely tooling marks and nothing to worry about. Just keep it cleaned and lubricated and it'll be fine. After you put enough rounds through it, you'll wear it out.

Buy yourself one of these but, don't worry about minute scratches or tooling marks. Just know that these magnify everything:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 06-06-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Spike

Default Thanks everyone

I am currently getting about 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds / does anybody have any reccomendations on bullets and pellets / I am currently using 2 imr white hots and a 245 grain powerbelt copper hollowpoint
Old 06-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well your first problem is with using powerbelts. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting good groups with them other than the flag toters for the Powerbelt company. Many bullets out there that are MUCH better performers both in flight as well as terminal ballistics. You are going to need to search around and try out different loads, powders, sabots vs. full bore, all kinds of things to find that perfect combination.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pharris218
I am currently getting about 1.5 inch groups at 50 yds / does anybody have any reccomendations on bullets and pellets / I am currently using 2 imr white hots and a 245 grain powerbelt copper hollowpoint
\

That's a "loaded" question.......

There are so many different combinations available, however the one thing I would recommend, being that you asked, is to dump the powerbelts. Shoot them up at targets or make sinkers for fishing.

Hornady XTP's, Scorpion PT Gold's, or you could shoot a premium bullet.... the Barnes T-EZ.

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 06-06-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can you shoot sabots in your state? Open sights, or scope? What animals are you hunting? What's your max distance you'll be hunting?

Off the top of my head i'd recommend the Barnes 250gr T-EZ. You can use the White Hots, but BH 209 is better in your gun.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Can you shoot sabots in your state? Open sights, or scope? What animals are you hunting? What's your max distance you'll be hunting?

Off the top of my head i'd recommend the Barnes 250gr T-EZ. You can use the White Hots, but BH 209 is better in your gun.
I have a tasco 3-9X50 and am hunting whitetail anywhere from 25-150yds and yes can use sabots / should I be using 2 or 3 pellets?i your opinion just tell me a set-up you think I should use , thanks!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, that's good. Go ahead and switch to the Barnes 250gr T-EZ. It's a much better bullet than the Powerbelt. It should load perfect in your gun.

For what you're hunting, and your distance the two White Hots will be fine with the Barnes bullet.

Give it a try, and let us know how the Barnes do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.