Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Best Blackhorn Breech Plug
CVA Blackhorn QR Plug
14.29%
Triumph Speed Breech Plug
0%
Knight Bare Primer Plug
28.57%
CVA Standard QR Plug
0%
Encore/Omega Plug
42.86%
Western Powders CVA QR Plug
0%
Pro Hunter Speed Breech Plug
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Best Blackhorn Breech Plug

Old 06-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Tom, that would change my vote.
You have a lot more experience with a wide variety of breech plugs. You don't even have the best plug for BH209 listed. Which is a Lehigh plug. I did not vote because I don't like the Knight plug like I do the Lehigh. Your vote either way should be an Omega plug
Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, what you write is interesting, and imaginative, but i remain unconvinced. My recollection, is the scientist that addressed this issue, wrote that the shape of the vent liner is irrelevant, to the amount of pressure reaching the primer. My inclination is to side with science.

The pressure on the primer increases with increasing flash hole size. The pressure on the primer decreases with increasing flame channel volume. These i believe.

Yes, i believe there are characteristics that affect the pressure on the primer, but the shape of the vent liner is not one of them.
Ron,
People can write anything. The easiest way to tell right or wrong in this case is with the primers. I can assure you there is a difference between flat and domed ventliners. Is it a lot... nope. Is it something I worry about....nope. But, the domed are better either way. I do have a plug that will prove that theory someplace for a Knight. But im not really gonna look for it cause either one will work good enough.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
You guys are gonna change the subject and I'm gonna end up getting banned.....
That was our master plan.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
..... You don't even have the best plug for BH209 listed. Which is a Lehigh plug.....
Tom, it wasn't listed because i was unaware, it is available for purchase.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:36 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Tom, it wasn't listed because i was unaware, it is available for purchase.
It didnt think it was either , if it is i need another one . I missed the one wvhunter had for sale .
The poll said best blackhorn plug not best blackhorn plug available for sale

Old 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, that is true.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:25 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Yes, that is true.
How was the fishing?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fishing was awful. Fished Angostura. Didn't know there were pike in there, and that is all that was hooked. Two bit the hook off, and one was landed, then released. Surprised me that we could fish there all these years, and never hook a pike before. Linda was disappointed in me, and my inability to bring home a walleye or two, or three, or four. Came home with zero fish, sunburned, but happy to have been fishing.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

By Pike you mean Norther Pike?...If so, the meat is quite good.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the meat is OK. The one i landed was quite small, and by the time one removes the Y bones from one that small, there is very little meat left, so i tossed it. What was most irritating, is i wasn't properly rigged for pike, and the hook was bitten off two times.

Years ago we took up spear fishing for pike in the winter. After good successful trips i ended up with a pile of pike meat, and made jerky out of them. My first attempts weren't very tasty, but after a few tries, the jerky was pretty good. Took the jerky to work most of that winter, and the guys liked it OK, and not much came home with me. One week end we caught a pile of perch, and i made jerky using the perch meat. None of the perch jerky came home with me, and i was kinda sad. Yes pike is OK....