Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Best Blackhorn Breech Plug
CVA Blackhorn QR Plug
14.29%
Triumph Speed Breech Plug
0%
Knight Bare Primer Plug
28.57%
CVA Standard QR Plug
0%
Encore/Omega Plug
42.86%
Western Powders CVA QR Plug
0%
Pro Hunter Speed Breech Plug
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Best Blackhorn Breech Plug

Old 06-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
.....If the pocket on the Triumph is farther away from the primer than the Omega. Doesn't that give the Omega BP a shorter flame channel than the Triumph? Wouldn't that make the Omega BP more efficient?.....
Yes. Did you fail to read my post indicating the Triumph plug isn't perfectly reliable in bitter cold, and thus isn't the best?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes. Did you fail to read my post indicating the Triumph plug isn't perfectly reliable in bitter cold, and thus isn't the best?
Yes, I did, but I read this too.

"Not really. Both QRBP made for using Blackhorn, have short short channels. They have innards that are virtually direct copies of the short Encore/Omega breech plug. In other words, the Encore/Omega plug, and both of the Blackhorn QRBP, are mostly identical."

I guess you were talking about the CVA BP made for BH. I know they were using the Omega BP when those were designed. I was talking about the Triumph, and all BP's that come on guns that come off by hand.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ron,

You are incorrect in the fact that the current Knight plug is not the same as the original Lehigh. It is very close but there are differences and in those differences the original Lehigh is better than the current Knight.

Also in your poll you do not list or tell us if you were talking about the current Knight NFPJ or the older Knight NFPJ which is still available at some vendors.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, i only know about what i can purchase from Knight right this instant.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mike, i only know about what i can purchase from Knight right this instant.
OK got it...
Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

.....I was talking about the Triumph, and all BP's that come on guns that come off by hand.
Yes, i understand that; my posts pointed out that the Triumph plug isn't perfect in bitter cold, and also.....

The Encore/Omega plug, the CVA Blackhorn QRBP, and the Western Powders Blackhorn QRBP....
......All three of these plugs have 1/8" channel. All three have near the same length channel. The QRBP do have a slightly larger flash hole. The slightly larger flash hole should actually improve Blackhorn ignition....
My point was/is the Blackhorn QRBP are virtually identical to the Omega plug. This is fact. My opinion is, the QRBP is equally reliable, as the Omega plug. Actually, the QRBP are kinda better, because they better support the primer.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, i understand that; my posts pointed out that the Triumph plug isn't perfect in bitter cold, and also.....

The Encore/Omega plug, the CVA Blackhorn QRBP, and the Western Powders Blackhorn QRBP....

My point was/is the Blackhorn QRBP are virtually identical to the Omega plug. This is fact. My opinion is, the QRBP is equally reliable, as the Omega plug. Actually, the QRBP are kinda better, because they better support the primer.
See I told ya... you have changed to a master of BP's working on your PHD...
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am quite fond of the true Lehigh breach plug. It seems to be the best or as good as any other ive tried. My NULA breach plug is also 100% reliable but only CCI primers will fit it. The action wont close with pretty much anything else.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Slightly depressing. I had fleeting thoughts of buying a Triumph Bone Collector to get the flex-tech stock. I was hoping it would help me with recoil.

I hunt in cold weather, and would be upset if I got delayed fire if the Fed primers don't help.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Slightly depressing. I had fleeting thoughts of buying a Triumph Bone Collector to get the flex-tech stock. I was hoping it would help me with recoil.

I hunt in cold weather, and would be upset if I got delayed fire if the Fed primers don't help.
Easy fix - just modify the Breech plug and solve your problems...

I modified two of mine one with the Vent liner on the nose of the plug and one with it set back into the plug. They both worked fine but I preferred the longer one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.