Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight ultimate slam ....

Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Default knight ultimate slam ....

Well at least that is what I call it. I remember when Knight was talking about bringing out their new gun. Shill Toby if I remember right even had a prototype. he did an article and test on the rifle . I was pretty excited . The Ultimate Slam was due out the upcoming year. Well instead of getting an ultimate Slam I ended up getting disappointed with the news that knight was closing their doors. There went the Ultimate Slam I had been so desperately waiting on.
Then the Plastic company bought Knight . Well it seemed that they were bringing out guns just using old stock to get rid of all the leftover barrels and stuff, but no Ultimate Slam. The word gets around that knight is bringing out a new gun. Woohoo !! well I bought one when they were available. It was called the Mountaineer.
I assumed, and I may be wrong, but I assumed it was the Ultimate Slam under a different name. Either way I got one. I hunted with it and it was a nice rifle and using 130 gr triple 7 or 120 gr blackhorn it was a great shooter. I took a very nice Refuge buck with it at 175 yards. It got put away and I forgot about it. .
I remembered it the other day and decided to get it out. This is my Ultimate Slam, oops excuse me , my Knight Mountaineer

I only used 110 gr Blackhorn and a 250 gr sst to see if it was still on paper. I got this first shot on a cold clean barrel at 100 yards. I don't hunt with sst's so I might as well shoot them up

That made me happy after the fiasco with the u-mag.
I took a couple more and got this

this was a 4 shot group at 100 yards. I have no doubt that it will tighten way up if I go back up in powder to the 120 or 130 that it likes.

instead though I decided to try some 200 gr 50 cal shockwaves. I know I cant hunt with them as the bullet is to small to meet GFP rules but I can shoot paper with them legally

first two shots were pleasing

then the 4 shot group. Not bad considering I didn't experiment or vary anything at all

It was actually hot out today.The barrel got hot after even 2 shots. The mosquitos were eating me alive so I decided to head back. I think this gun deserves another chance to hunt though.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
.....I decided to try some 200 gr 50 cal shockwaves. I know I cant hunt with them as the bullet is to small to meet GFP rules but I can shoot paper with them legally .......
Nice shooting Chet!

You could have used the 200g shockwave for hunting turkey this spring. The 2015 turkey regulation only specifies muzzle loader rifle caliber.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Nice shooting Chet!

You could have used the 200g shockwave for hunting turkey this spring. The 2015 turkey regulation only specifies muzzle loader rifle caliber.

Good to know there is a use for them 200's
We should get together some time for some long range shooting .

Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet rifle! The grey laminated thumbhole is my favorite stock.
You sure have been knocking the dust off em lately
Old 06-01-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
......We should get together some time for some long range shooting .
Perhaps that can be arranged; am going fishing today.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice rifle and very nice shooting!!

The sand flies are out here, and wood ticks. You can't walk through the grass without catching a couple of them. But it was 30šs this morning and cooler then that yesterday morning. With highs in the 50's maybe very low 60's. Nice to be outside.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Mountaineer is a nice Muzzleloader and really accurate. But ever since production of the new Knight Ultralite all the rest are obsolete. They just need to make it in a 45.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:52 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The Mountaineer is a nice Muzzleloader and really accurate. But ever since production of the new Knight Ultralite all the rest are obsolete. They just need to make it in a 45.
And in a fast twist .