Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Heavy Lead @ 200 Yards

Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by toytruck
.....Did you swab between shots or keep her fouled? ..... Now I gotta try some of Ed's lead...
I wiped the bore with both sides of one alcohol patch between shots toytruck.

Yes, you do want to try some 465 Mehligs.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
.....I use the free ballistic calculator at Handloads.com. It's really close to the one you posted. The only quirk is it doesn't have a print option, so you have to do a screen capture and save it to a picture file......
The calculation i posted was done by Hornady' website free calculator, and it does have a print option, however, you are doing just fine doing screen capture.

Regarding another of your posting about replacing the scope with a 4X scope with a plain reticle... all of the gong shooting i did the last couple of days i did with a 4X scope with a plain reticle. This was done by using the ballistic calculations to set both the elevation, and windage turrets. Yes, it is fun.

Regarding another of your posting... there is no doubt in my mind, that your load would whomp an elk at 200 yard, and it would be great fun to see you do it, and then smell elk up close, once again.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

Regarding another of your posting about replacing the scope with a 4X scope with a plain reticle... all of the gong shooting i did the last couple of days i did with a 4X scope with a plain reticle. This was done by using the ballistic calculations to set both the elevation, and windage turrets. Yes, it is fun.
This is what makes it the most impressive to me Ron.
I'm obviously not a long distance shooter, but every time I target shoot I tend to jack to the highest power no matter what the yardage (most all my scopes are 3x-9x). Heck, even when I hunt I often turn up the dial for a shot that is even only 100yds if I have plenty of time. Dial normally stays on 3x, unless hunting a more open area then maybe 4x-5x.

I guess I need to shoot more, and with lower power. Obviously its not a handicap, you proved that. I don't shoot near as often as I'd like or as I used to. Too much kid stuff pulling me all over.

Semi, the way you are shooting you could take that thing groundhog hunting @ 200yds!!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kids come first.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm not a fan of BDC scopes. Too much clutter for me. I just want to put the crosshair in the kill zone, and pull the trigger. The faster on target the better. 1.5x-2x is perfect for me. If I can't smell the elk when I shoot. I'm too far away.

I'm sure BDC scopes are great for those who take long shots.
Muley,

Don't you mean "squeeze" the trigger? Pulling the trigger is something we teach youngsters NOT to do!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 05-04-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fine from a bench, but sometimes my shots are on running game.

I didn't say jerk the trigger.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Spike

Excellent shooting!
Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - That's some nice shooting at 200 yds. But I was wondering (which I have a habit of doing). What if you turned the power down to 7 or 8x? You think you could use the lower stadia bar without guessing along that vertical crosshair?
If so you can probably tighten up that group. Not that there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally posted by Bronko
What if you turned the power down to 7 or 8x? You think you could use the lower stadia bar without guessing along that vertical crosshair?
Yep. That's the plan the next time out. Maybe I can shrink the group by a quarter inch.

300 yards??? Hummm. Our range goes out to about 340 yards. Dare I try 300?

Last edited by Semisane; 05-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the 100 yard zero setting, the calculator say to turn the elevation turret up 24.1 moa to be zeroed at 300 yard. So... Van... if you have 1 3/5 revolution left in elevation, you can use the main reticle, for your aim out there.

Wow, there is still 983 ft lb of energy left, out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.