Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the Gong

Old 05-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The practice certainly doesn't hurt, and if it is done for fun, it is fun. Shooting at a live food critter out 575 yard, isn't something i would do. Chances of success for me, in a hunting situation, would be just about nil.

Utilizing the terrain to make a sneak is the best way to hunt i guess. Crawling through cactus is dicey, but is kinda possible without going home with spines embedded. When i was a kid, i imagined one day i would get bit in the face by a rattler, whilst sneaking up on prairie dogs using their mounds as cover; never did though. When i was a grown man, i came closest to a snake, but i was on my knees. Funny thing is, when i saw it, it was at 5 feet, and slipping away. When i heard it, i paid little attention, because i thought, it was the wind rustling the bushes. Geez, i have had hearing loss for quite some time now.

My, my, when one thinks about hunting, the memories sure appear.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

I always enjoy your post on long range shooting. I wish I had access to some prairie land land to try some myself.

Great shooting.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I realize that you wouldn't shoot 500-600 yards at an animal. But with your practicing, a 300 yard shot is entirely possible. And seeing your posts I don't doubt you could do it.